Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long-time first-time here, I've had numerous vintage Hondas over the years but never really the time or space to do a proper build. I've logged a lot of hours searching the Honda Twins forums and figured it was time to say hello.

Here's the patient I took it home:

1_800w.jpg

It's a bit of a mess right now, so the immediate plan is to get it in good riding order and put some miles on it to assess exactly what it needs. Then I'll buy / fab the bits needed for a scrambler-influenced restomod, and get it running and riding, all in one piece. Finally, I'll disassemble for paint and general prettying. And I'll do my best to post the process here.

PS, thanks for helping me get my CL360 clutch working way back in 2011?, 66Sprint Steve!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First order of business was to get a split seam in the tank brazed. While I was working on the tank, I cleaned up a few layers of spray paint on the underside to get a look at what the original paint was... apparently a red metallic flake?
57059610801__A6C4095C-3360-423D-A6D1-B76C23C3B601.jpg
57059745495__37F3C652-4824-48D4-B9DC-AC8582E41BC3.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next, I wanted to get to work on some slow oil leaks, and while I had the case covers off, I figured it was a good time to pull the electric starter. I don't have any of the wiring for the starter and my starter clutch was junk, so I picked up the Common Motor starter plug. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out exactly how to install it. It seems to have a washer for only one side of the case, so there was no obvious way to hold it in place. I added a washer to the other side... is there something simple and silly I'm missing here?

Stator with starter clutch removed:

IMG_6379.jpg

Added the washer on the outside:

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_9087.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
yeah, that version is nothing more than a rubber automotive freeze plug replacement. I'd be concerned about the rubber breaking down over time from exposure to motor oil, but even if it didn't it isn't too classy looking. I bought this one from Speedmotoco, and I believe they might offer free shipping to HT members. BTW, the paint color was probably Candy Red over a silver metallic base coat

https://www.speedmotoco.com/Speedmotoco-Cb350-Starter-Delete-Plug-Cl350-Honda-p/sdp-cb350.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, that version is nothing more than a rubber automotive freeze plug replacement. I'd be concerned about the rubber breaking down over time from exposure to motor oil, but even if it didn't it isn't too classy looking. I bought this one from Speedmotoco, and I believe they might offer free shipping to HT members. BTW, the paint color was probably Candy Red over a silver metallic base coat

https://www.speedmotoco.com/Speedmotoco-Cb350-Starter-Delete-Plug-Cl350-Honda-p/sdp-cb350.htm
Wow, that Speedmoto piece is way nicer—wish I saw it sooner. You're certainly right about the tank paint, there's a few chips where you can see how it was laid down by the factory. Plan right now is a repaint in the vein of the sunrise orange that came on the 750s, something like this:

orange-Honda-CB750-Tank.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Always loved the Sunrise Orange on that year 750... it's basically the same Candy Orange that came on the SL350K1 with a coarser silver metallic underneath. As for the starter plug option - that's why one should always ask for suggestions for a replacement product when the only one that can be found looks cheesy... there's so much stuff out there that none of us can see all of it, there just aren't enough hours in the day. Yeah, that piece from Speedmotoco is a little pricey but nicely machined, has a stub that goes into the outer cover to keep it from moving and looks beautiful when in place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm trying to plan / purchase a new seat for the bike and I'm a little confused about exactly what I need. I've been chatting with Texavina about purchasing a brat-style seat but there seems to be some communication issues.

Essentially, this is my plan:
-Find a seat that fits the frame from the stock tank to the rear axle
-This seat also needs to include a seatpan with room for a battery / fusebox
-Find hardware that allows this seat to open on a hinge
-Rework the rear hoop / fender to fit this newly purchased seat

Does this sound like the right process? Who else could I contact beside Texavina? I thought it would be simple to source these parts but for some reason I'm not having much luck.

For reference, here's my frame (no seat hardware) and the style seat I'm after:
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.40.47 AM.jpg IMG_2161.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems like the frame has already been hacked up. That makes it hard to find anything off the shelf to fit what you currently have, which I am sure you know. From the experience I have had, which isn't much, Texavina makes seats to typically fit a stock frame and stock mounting locations (with the exception of a few on their website).
Now with that being said, I would find a seat that is not particularly made to fit the stock frame and go from there. Tuffside seats makes a good brat seat, expensive, but good quality. Buy or build a new frame hoop, cut the current one off (or re-use) and configure according to that seat you buy. For a battery/fusebox you will more than likely have to build one yourself, and mount it underneath the seat.

I'm sure someone else has done it really well, but I haven't had good luck with hinge mounts for seats in brat style

Juts my thoughts, but I hope that helps.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Mounting hardware is always a difficult task for an aftermarket seat - at least to do it properly. I had to mount my seat "permanently", as in unbolt when you need to go under the seat for battery, etc., and that may end up being what you have to do. Aftermarket seats shown for certain bike model numbers so often aren't even close to fitting the bikes mentioned (as in hinge mount points, tank-to-seat fit, etc), it's more of a selling ploy in these times of the popular cafe race style so you're generally on your own to be creative and adapt it. On another note, you're going to confuse the bike with a red/white wire connected to ground...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks like a fun project! I'm going to try my hand at fabricating my own seat - a little less bulky than factory without cutting the frame. Going to do it in fibreglass and incorporate the factory hinges and lock. Lots of videos on Youtube on how to do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like the frame has already been hacked up. That makes it hard to find anything off the shelf to fit what you currently have, which I am sure you know. From the experience I have had, which isn't much, Texavina makes seats to typically fit a stock frame and stock mounting locations (with the exception of a few on their website).
Now with that being said, I would find a seat that is not particularly made to fit the stock frame and go from there. Tuffside seats makes a good brat seat, expensive, but good quality. Buy or build a new frame hoop, cut the current one off (or re-use) and configure according to that seat you buy. For a battery/fusebox you will more than likely have to build one yourself, and mount it underneath the seat.

I'm sure someone else has done it really well, but I haven't had good luck with hinge mounts for seats in brat style

Juts my thoughts, but I hope that helps.
Yep, I know I definitely can't buy an off-the-rack solution here and I'm happy to spend some time modifying the frame to work with a vendor's seat. I have seen the Tuffside seats before but as far I know they don't do custom pans. Texavina's site is pretty confusing, but when I emailed they said they do make custom pans. The width of the frame and the length of the seat are the two dimensions I am set on and I figure I'll rework the rear hoop to match.

Mounting hardware is always a difficult task for an aftermarket seat - at least to do it properly. I had to mount my seat "permanently", as in unbolt when you need to go under the seat for battery, etc., and that may end up being what you have to do. Aftermarket seats shown for certain bike model numbers so often aren't even close to fitting the bikes mentioned (as in hinge mount points, tank-to-seat fit, etc), it's more of a selling ploy in these times of the popular cafe race style so you're generally on your own to be creative and adapt it. On another note, you're going to confuse the bike with a red/white wire connected to ground...
:???: That is quite the battery wiring setup, huh? The previous owner was using a battery pack from a rascal scooter and I guess they weren't very particular about their color choices when hooking it up. Fortunately the ground wire is nice and short so it's obvious which one is which. I will build a new harness end to end once I settle on all the electronics and I'm confident I won't need to adjust wire lengths. As far as the seat goes I totally expect to be adapting hardware to fit this frame... but it's not crazy to expect someone to sell the hardware... I hope?

Looks like a fun project! I'm going to try my hand at fabricating my own seat - a little less bulky than factory without cutting the frame. Going to do it in fibreglass and incorporate the factory hinges and lock. Lots of videos on Youtube on how to do it.
Fabbing your own seat sounds great, I would totally go that route if there was a hint of the factory hardware left on my bike!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...but it's not crazy to expect someone to sell the hardware... I hope
yeah, it probably is - I haven't done a lot of searching for it, but in my internet travels for the seat I bought I never saw any sets of hinge hardware out there for any bike other than OEM. probably have to buy some from a stock seat and adapt

·
Registered
105 Posts
I mentioned Tuffside because their seats are made to fit Honda width frames. As long as your frame width hasn't been changed, which it doesn't seem to be, you should be golden in terms of that. Would only require a new seat hoop to fit.

Here is a link to the seat in particular I am thinking of, the seat size you want would be "Honda Universal". I have put one on a cb360, and a cb550 so my assumptions would make me think it would fit a cb450 as well though I am not sure if the width of the honda frames changed at the seat, I wouldn't be surprised if they did though.
https://www.tuffside.com/2-Tone-Universal-Brat-Seats-p/flat_solid.htm

And check this video out, this guy uses Tuffside almost exclusively

These seats come with mounting hardware, and like ancientdad said, it would be a permanent mount that you would have to unbolt every single time.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Here's how I mounted the rear support brackets for my seat. the front mount is made from the small tab that came bolted to the underside of the front of the seat, removed (since it didn't fit under my different tank mount) and re-mounted to the frame where the old tank bracket fro the rubber strap was mounted, then I cut a slot in the plastic base of the seat so the tab could slip into the seat between the foam and the plastic pan

left side

20190307_153442.jpg

right side - the 10mm bolt head next to the shock on both sides goes through the frame and screws into a nut I had welded onto the seat bracket (in black behind the frame)

20190307_153509.jpg

mid support is flat steel welded to the top of the frame, seat rubbers sit on it

20190307_153608.jpg

then you have to get a stencil to do this...

20190307_153700.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wow - $275 for that seat... I paid $50 for mine. I'm sure there are some quality differences but mine has been durable and defect-free to this point, around 1100 miles on the bike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow - $275 for that seat... I paid $50 for mine. I'm sure there are some quality differences but mine has been durable and defect-free to this point, around 1100 miles on the bike
You're not kidding. I am not proud to have spent that much on a seat, but, it was a time when I didn't know any better. Live and learn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mentioned Tuffside because their seats are made to fit Honda width frames. As long as your frame width hasn't been changed, which it doesn't seem to be, you should be golden in terms of that. Would only require a new seat hoop to fit.

Here is a link to the seat in particular I am thinking of, the seat size you want would be "Honda Universal". I have put one on a cb360, and a cb550 so my assumptions would make me think it would fit a cb450 as well though I am not sure if the width of the honda frames changed at the seat, I wouldn't be surprised if they did though.
https://www.tuffside.com/2-Tone-Universal-Brat-Seats-p/flat_solid.htm

And check this video out, this guy uses Tuffside almost exclusively

These seats come with mounting hardware, and like ancientdad said, it would be a permanent mount that you would have to unbolt every single time.
That's a good suggestion and a good video, thanks! I can easily compare my frame dimensions with a stock bike and confirm but I'm 99% sure the seat width is un-mucked-with. By mounting hardware... you mean the pack of studs / wingnuts they include?

Here's how I mounted the rear support brackets for my seat. the front mount is made from the small tab that came bolted to the underside of the front of the seat, removed (since it didn't fit under my different tank mount) and re-mounted to the frame where the old tank bracket fro the rubber strap was mounted, then I cut a slot in the plastic base of the seat so the tab could slip into the seat between the foam and the plastic pan

left side

right side - the 10mm bolt head next to the shock on both sides goes through the frame and screws into a nut I had welded onto the seat bracket (in black behind the frame)

mid support is flat steel welded to the top of the frame, seat rubbers sit on it

then you have to get a stencil to do this...
Thanks Tom, those are some very helpful photos! Your tank / fender / seat setup is very different from what I have in mind, but the mounting strategy for the seat is really well-thought out. Love the stenciled logo on the back. I'm surprised it's such a tall order finding a folding mechanism—considering how frequently access is required to things like the battery, fuses, registration papers I would there would be more folks who retain a folding seat.

Ah well, looks like I'll have some work cut out for me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts