Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good affordable source for standard size piston rings? I'm only finding oversized on eBay and I found them for $50 plus shipping on an oem site. The last time I got parts from that site, half of them didn't show and I was credited so I'm guessing they order them from elsewhere and mark the unavailable parts infrequently.
Thanks, Jodie

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Have patience and some will turn up on E-bay sooner or later.
I got some from Econohonda in New Zealand a few months ago good people to deal with but not cheap. <http://www.econohonda.co.nz/>
Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep checking eBay. With this downtime I've been cleaning the engine and I guess ill paint it. There was a 1/4" of dried oil on the bottom of the engine so I'm glad I talked myself into a complete teardown.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went ahead and got a .25 over set from Rusty Riders off e-bay and am going to file them down to the correct end gap. I couldn't find any stock sized ones for less than about $50 each set. I got both sets for $24 shipped.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about doing that this morning. I'm guessing you had no running problems. Did the oiler ring file ok?

·
Registered
53 Posts
jodiemeglio said:
I was thinking about doing that this morning. I'm guessing you had no running problems. Did the oiler ring file ok?
We're jumping in the deep end of this pool together, partner :) I haven't recieved my rings yet, they should be here tomorrow or the next day. I think the key is to go slow, it's easy to take a little more off but impossible to put it back on!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just purchased a new standard size set of rings from Honda.
Try your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how this works out. When you file down the oversize rings you can get them to fit OK but the tension of the ring against the cylinder wall will be different. I have no idea if this will be enough to do anything so I look forward to seeing your results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rings are here and were way cheaper than anywhere else for std size. Haven't had time to do much but the engine is flat black and ready for assembly.

WWW.powersedge.com seems to be the cheapest oem parts store too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts