Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing new pistons and wondering about which way they go in. one side has a O and the other side has an O with lines coming off the O. I neglected to take picture of the originals before removal. cylinders where re bored to the next size up from stock so new pistons, rings, pins and clips. been doing searches here but must be wording the search wrong. This should be an easy question for the experts here.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Generally the valve cutouts can help identify which way they go - larger cutout on the intake side, but I've not seen 175 sloper pistons in well over 40 years so I can't recall how they look. Someone more versed in 175s will be along.

And while you're posting, catch us up on the other bikes in your bio - and pictures! We like pictures here :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I second that.

I know for a fact that the CL175 pistons have a larger cutout on the intake side.

Given that the CD175 was a sibling of the the CL and CB, I would assume yours to be the same...

The CL175 has "IN" stamped on the intake side...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also, from Simo on a different thread...

"The CD175A have the same piston part numbers as the cl175 K0.
That said the basic proportions of the pistons should be the same for all twin 175's Ca/cb/cd/cl/gl/sl
14mm pin, 52mm diameter"

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I am assuming from the responses here that the larger cut out on the piston faces the intake side. As I stated the new pistons are only marked with a O on one side and another O with straight line coming off of it. also on assembly is gasket sealer used for the cylinder base gasket? and not certain about placement of the two O rings. This is my first top end rebuild so lots of questions. could some one direct me to more info on engine assembly as my clymer manual not very accurate or trust worthy.
And thanks again for the responses and help it is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, larger cutout on intake side.
No gasket sealer on cylinder to crankcase gasket. Just a new gasket.
Check out the manual and technical documents section of the small twins area of this forum.
Gather all the info you can about
175s (mainly, Factory Service Manual(s)) from that era and I'm sure you'll find your answers. I can't imagine that your engine has much difference to a CB175 from same year.
It seems to me that Cd175s are not too common among members of this forum

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a pukka honda manual for a cd175, will dig out and check, will also try and copy/post as well.

You know of the very real dangers of using a sealer ?

You also know of cmsnl which may help, just find your bike on there and looksee.

You have the old pistons for the tell tale marks ?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sorry dude, the oe manual is for a cb/cl/sl 175, with picture showing IN on piston crown.

The other manual I have is for 125 to 200cc twins, same again.

The clymer manual I have is for 125 to 360 twins, again showing either in or an arrow on piston crown, but, shows a piston crown for a 175 twin with clearly a large valve pocket for the inlet valve.

Interestingly the manual shows a tech drawing of a piston with an off set wrist/gudgeon pin, a desaxe type design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts