Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the gaps on the piston rings and they exceed the service wear limit. I was curious as how one can tell if their cylinder has been bored out previously. Also there is a number on the two bottom rings of each piston that says 25 on them. So does this mean to get .25 rings???
Thank you much,

Matt
Minneapolis

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Check the tops of your pistons to see if there's a number stamped: .25 should be on there if the cylinder has been rebored.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
OR, you could measure the existing bore......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rlieuallen67 said:
Check the tops of your pistons to see if there's a number stamped: .25 should be on there if the cylinder has been rebored.
You sure about the stamp???

Also sir, the one below, do I need a micrometer to measure that? and then if there's difference from specs deduce the new bore?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Your micrometer could also measure the old piston.....Even a decent Vernier can tell if it's oversized, and which oversize it is....
You'll NEED to know, piston size, bore size and taper, and ring gaps (with loose rings in the bore), as well as the bore's condition before you can decide on the necessary work and parts that will be required to correct the situation......
OR, take the parts to a machine shop and have them measured and checked.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done and Done. Everything is good. Bore is standard 64 mm. Everything is consistently good. Time for new rings.
Thank you for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts