Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Chrome plating has become such an EPA nightmare that there are few chrome shops around anymore, and even fewer that actually do good work (see LDR's recent thread - http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/5-vendor-links/107705-jb-s-chrome-shop-portland-oregon.html). I know it wouldn't look as original, but ceramic coating by a powdercoat shop is excellent for exhaust (when done properly) and holds up like chrome. If you've never seen it before, you can look at how mine turned out

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-project-logs/65305-cl450-project-reboot-street-legal-time-2.html#post578305

·
Registered
756 Posts
I wrote it in the thread that ancient refered to, but Metro Plating in AZ.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the pipes and mufflers clean inside. I started with 2+2 gum cutter and then soaked them internally with a solvent called surface prep or final wash which is used to wipe down items prior to painting. It is like a wax and grease remover. I will call metro Plating, I have one other possibility that said if I got the pipes clean they might try and re chrome them.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
It can be done.
The plater needs to block off the internals. I have heard of them using expandable rubber Plugs on both ends to seal the pipes and prevent them from contaminating their chemicals.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked with one plater who was going to plug the pipes but when I sent him pictures said he could not plug the muffler end because it is a double pipe at the end.
I will keep trying.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Mufflers will be a problem.

The CL Mufflers also have a small VENT Hole which they would be challenged to block off.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not sure why everyone has had so much trouble with exhaust/mufflers -- I'm not a chromer, but I have taken quite a few sets of exhaust along with other stuff to three different chromers in Arizona and I have never had any of them raise an issue over used exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.