Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sanded down tank to metal, sprayed with Rustoleum gloss black. looks nice. Couple pinholes were covered with JB Weld gas tank repair. Inside of tank was (terribly) Kreemed it appears. Figured I'd be good. Well, anytime the bike is in the hot sun, it starts to piss out fuel. So dangerous. The black color isn't helping. Maybe my gas cap is clogged? Pressure is obviously building, and finding a way out. Should I try re-coating the inside of the tank? Can I still do this even though its been done before?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Gas cap is clogged with Kreem??? I do not like Kreem, either Red Kote of Caswell for me.
You may need a better tank, try solder on the pin holes, derust the tank and try to line it
with something besides Kreem. No matter what you line it with the prep must be near
perfect to get a good job. I expect when you get the rust out of the tank it will collapse.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Time to start calling around to radiator shops the work on motorcycle tanks. If you have 1 pinhole you have a bunch of them about to leak. This tank has the same problem the Nighthawks do. The rear corners are a water trap since they are below the petcock level. Water collects and rots the tank out. A shop can pressure test it and repair all of the leaks, they may even do tank lining with a good commercial grade liner. I had one done that I thought was 6 pinholes, 30 holes later and some where I didn't expect them I had a repaired and sealed tank, $175.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There i some kreem on the gas cap. Thoughts on drilling a small hole thru the cap? Can't think of another way to allow ventilation. Tank being fixed or not, pressure that builds needs relief one way or another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts