Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting everything away for the evening and I went to hold the rebuilt speedometer that I got from you up against the one on the bike and I realized that the trip meters are on the opposite sides. I checked the second speedometer you sent me and it's on the same side as the first one you sent. Do you recall what model/yr bikes these came off of?

The speedometer on my bike is on the right side while the two you sent are obviously on the left. If I don't figure our how I can swap internals to make it work, I'll put the speedo on the left and the tach on the right but I found it interesting and worth a questions.

On my '68 CL350 the speedo is on the left, the same as the ones you sent.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
They came off a 450 K5 or K6 I believe...(the "freebie" I stripped to share parts from.... However, there is no surety that they were original to that bike either....). I believe 350 tachs redline at 9-2 and 450's at 9-5.... That's the way I judged them for correct "bike"size anyway.... Regardless, they should read correctly as the differences in speedo drive gearing are contained in the wheel unit..... Interesting.........They are definately "later style" as the cable spigots are "tilted", but I'll have to check the frame serial to be precise on the "K".....Then again, they could be 350G or 360 units that were transplanted....????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
They came off a 450 K5 or K6 I believe.... 350 tachs redline at 9-2 and 450's at 9-5.... That's the way I judged them for "bike".... Regardless, they should read correctly as the differences in speedo drive gearing are contained in the wheel unit..... Interesting.........

My 450 is a K3/K4. I offered the information on the 350 only as a reference point. It's interesting that they would have flipped the tach/speedo side on the K5 and up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
Maybe Bill can remember exactly IF or WHEN such a change was made.....
I was just looking at pictures of his K4 project and his speedo is on the left side. Maybe some PO changed my guages out and reversed these. If that's the case then I'll be glad to replace them back to the standard layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MNellis said:
66Sprint said:
Maybe Bill can remember exactly IF or WHEN such a change was made.....
I was just looking at pictures of his K4 project and his speedo is on the left side. Maybe some PO changed my guages out and reversed these. If that's the case then I'll be glad to replace them back to the standard layout.

Don't draw conclusions from my bike - those gauges are of unknown origin, just the best I had in the box....
They may not even be 450 gauges.

On 450's (CB's), K3/K4 had the speedo on the right side - at K5, this changed and speedo was on the left.
K2 has speedo on left, but no trip meter......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tbpmusic said:
On 450's (CB's), K3/K4 had the speedo on the right side - at K5, this changed and speedo was on the left.
K2 has speedo on left, but no trip meter......
Thanks Bill, that's good information for me to file away.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
I thought Bill would remember exactly...... :lol:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Here's more minutae, if you can stand it.....

K3/4 had a plain tach/speedo mount, at K5 they put the high beam indicator in the center of the "meter set plate".
Then at K6/7 they went to the idiot box between the instruments. The instruments were also tilted rearward at a greater angle in the last "plate".
All disk brake 450's use the same steering stem top clamp, far as I know.

Again, please don't look to my 450 for guidance if you're doing a restoration, it's about as far from "restored" as you can get.
Parts from at least 6 or 7 different Honda models on it.......that's a 360 top clamp on a hybrid 360/450 stem/bottom clamp, with a 360 instrument "plate". No idea at all what bike(s) the instruments are from - they're not even really straight or anything. And you can see they're tilted back way too much for K3/4.
But they were clean and worked, so........

Feel free to admire it, though...... :D :D :D

Incidentally, I have a longer side stand now, courtesy of Steve (yay Steve !!!). I think he said it was from a CB550 ??

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed the instrument tilt right away as being much more agressive than my K3. It looks more in line with how my old 76 750F looked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts