Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member here, but have been reading and learning a lot on the forum since I bought a '73 cb350g a few weeks ago, so thanks to all.
I cleaned my carbs up the other night and when I reinstalled and turned the gas on, gas came out of the bottom of the float bowl.. I figured the float was stuck so I took it apart again and made sure it was all good.. turns out there's a pin hole in the bottom of the float bowl.
Anyone run into this and figure out a good fix? Would something like JB Weld work?
Thanks for any thoughts and insight.

You can see the little black dot between the stem and drain plug- that's the culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
JB Weld will hold -- I've got a float bowl that's been JB welded for a couple years. Dunno the expected lifespan of the fix, but if it gives just do it again (unless you want to find another bowl).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JB Weld will hold -- I've got a float bowl that's been JB welded for a couple years. Dunno the expected lifespan of the fix, but if it gives just do it again (unless you want to find another bowl).
Great, thanks. How did you clean the area for the patch? I'm thinking a quick go over with some ultra fine sand paper and maybe drill out the hole like the first reply recommended. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I put a 4 inch gash in a fuel tank on one of my cars in the 70's and used JB weld to repair it. I kept the car for years afterwards and it never leaked a drop. The car then went to my brother and he drove it into the ground, but the repair never failed. I might try one of those dental flossing brushes in conjunction with carb/brake cleaner to clean it before cold-welding it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, the stuff is real good (as long as you prep the area well beforehand). I've seen intake ports built up with the stuff, cab bodies repaired, you name it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i drilled out the remaining thin material around the hole, sanded the outside of the float bowl, cleaned thouroughly and applied a nice layer to the effected area and beyond to reinforce just in case. Feeling pretty confident it'll work out. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Great, thanks. How did you clean the area for the patch? I'm thinking a quick go over with some ultra fine sand paper and maybe drill out the hole like the first reply recommended. Any thoughts?
Sorry, just got back to this and sounds like you took care of it. I didn't do any drilling, just a mild bit of scratching with sandpaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts