Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found and fixed a small leak in one of the inlet rubber boots on the K5. but am still struggling to get the idle settings sorted.

I cant seem to get the expected response in terms of leaning out / enriching the mixture by screwing the pilot jets in and out.

Can anybody confirm (a) if I actually need all of these components .. and (b) is this the correct assembly sequence ?



Thanks, Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
That is the way I do my CB350 carbs.

Make sure there isn't any small sections of old o ring left in the passage. Over the years I have pulled out lots of pieces and even sections of the metal washer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the way I do my CB350 carbs.

Make sure there isn't any small sections of old o ring left in the passage. Over the years I have pulled out lots of pieces and even sections of the metal washer.
Guys - thank you for the prompt replies.

After I read them, I went trawling to see if I had posted info on my carb numbers at some stage - and came across a similar query I had posted before:

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/56-fuel-supply-carburation/74193-mixture-screw-setting-2.html

Sorry about that - should have checked first, but thanks all the same, appreciated :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,925 Posts
When you say you found and fixed a small leak in the boots ?
What did you find?
How did you fix it?

The boots dry rot and crack usually in multiple places and the effect usually gets worse as the motor and the rubber warms up.
I would be very surprised if you could REALLY EFFECTIVELY FIX an old boot that is starting to develope cracks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The boots on her are aftermarket ones. (I still have the originals - which as you say had started to craze and crack.) Discovered it by the age old method of spraying some Easy-Start round the rubbers and listening for a rise in the revs. Found something was clearly amiss with the right hand one. One of the newer boots had started to delaminate between the outermost layer and the other parts which seem to have been pressed/glued together to form the whole assembly.

I used a high-temp silicone adhesive to bond the layers back together.

I suspect the delaminating came about as a result of the countless times I've had the carbs on and off trying to fix myriad problems - squeezing the carbs in and out past the rubbers without disassembling everything the way you would if you were a more patient individual :) Probably not likely to be a long term fix - but should be good enough to tide me over while I sort out the rest of the low-speed running issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chaps - there's still something not quite right on the idle / pilot jet front, and I'm getting a bit of a flat spot on the road in the 2-3k. range. Rather than further confuse this thread, or reawaken the other, I'll create a new one.
Thx,
Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Alan, are the spring lengths equal on the pilot screws or is it an optical illusion that the lower one looks shorter, if it's shorter and installed in the carb and then you back it off a turn the setting would not be as the other. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alan, are the spring lengths equal on the pilot screws or is it an optical illusion that the lower one looks shorter, if it's shorter and installed in the carb and then you back it off a turn the setting would not be as the other. Just a thought.
Thanks for the suggestion Ziggy. I checked there and it must be the angle of the shot, they are actually the same length.

By way of a progress update, have a look here if you like:

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/56-fuel-supply-carburation/129824-mixture-screw-setting-problems-flat-spot-carburettion-4.html
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top