Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it's sort of finished now, or as finished as these things ever get.
Put about 25 miles on it yesterday, no apparent problems.
So I'm "cautiously optomistic" right now - but you never know about these old bikes.

I'll need to replace the 4-year old battery this week, then make sure it's charging, etc.
Haven't sorted out the suspension or anything yet, just getting used to the engine's "song" right now.
Handles very nicely, like it's on rails.
Starts easily and settles into a nice idle slightly over 1,000 rpm.

Here are a couple of lo-res "teaser" shots - a LOT of photos at the Project Log, which has a place to click on top to go to the new photos.
That way you won't have to go through all the lurid details if you don't want.....

http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic/id54.htm

It sits a little taller than stock, bigger tires and slightly longer shocks.
But I'm sort of long-leggedy, so that works out OK for me......

Stock CB450 K4 engine (2'nd over pistons), painted black, chain oiler removed
Barnett clutch
CB450 frame/swingarm/rear fender (painted over chrome)
CB400T forks (naked), front fender (painted over chrome), disc and caliper, rear wheel/brake/axle
450 stem on 360 lower triple clamp (Steve !!)
360 top triple clamp, old 450 friction steering damper (Steve again !!)
Aftermarket master, fork ears, headlight bucket
Tapered steering bearings
Cheng Shin Barracudas
Uni "sock" air filters, Emgo mufflers
Stripped/welded/painted seat pan, recovered seat
Red Kote tank





 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
The project looks great Bill. I like the the looks of the pipes, forks and the wheels. It looks like it "stands a little taller" in the pictures.

Excellent.
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
Beautiful!....Now that's what I'm talkin' about....Looks like it COULD have/SHOULD have been a factory model, and only those "in the know" will fully appreciate the upgrades and changes.......
I have only ONE suggestion.....You NEED a longer sidestand..... If you'll measure it up on the block (total length it should be) I'll look around for something appropriate..., (or fab up a modified Honda part to suit).... :D :D Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
66Sprint said:
Beautiful!....Now that's what I'm talkin' about....Looks like it COULD have/SHOULD have been a factory model, and only those "in the know" will fully appreciate the upgrades and changes.......
I have only ONE suggestion.....You NEED a longer sidestand..... If you'll measure it up on the block (total length it should be) I'll look around for something appropriate..., (or fab up a modified Honda part to suit).... :D :D Steve
Thanks -

I looked at one of those chopper chromed stands from EBay - too long, at 11" or so.

I'll measure this dude, that would be nice of you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Beautiful! Very snappy in its new clothes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gs1327 said:
Looks good!
How much elapsed time start to finish on this project?
About a year, all told......slow, due to budgetary constraints and cold weather (in my garage).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
Very nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: PHOTOS - 450 Project-STEVE

66Sprint said:
Beautiful!....Now that's what I'm talkin' about....Looks like it COULD have/SHOULD have been a factory model, and only those "in the know" will fully appreciate the upgrades and changes.......
I have only ONE suggestion.....You NEED a longer sidestand..... If you'll measure it up on the block (total length it should be) I'll look around for something appropriate..., (or fab up a modified Honda part to suit).... :D :D Steve

Steve - I measured 6-1/2" from the center of the pivot bolt to the back of the foot, which is bent at a mild angle (no way to measure it here).

Looks like I need maybe 2" longer, about 8-1/2", slightly less of an angle.

Want a photo ?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
I really like that black engine, that is what I want for my next Honda twin.
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
Bill, I (DOH) have a stock 450 stand...I'll compare it visually to the longer ones I locate...... Does a CHROME (stock) Honda stand from a different bike work for you?.....LOL....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
66Sprint said:
Bill, I (DOH) have a stock 450 stand...I'll compare it visually to the longer ones I locate...... Does a CHROME (stock) Honda stand from a different bike work for you?.....LOL....

Works fine for me, long as it's a bolt-up........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
GOOD DOG Bill, that thing is absolutely stunning man!! I can only hope if my old 450 ever gets finished that it looks a tenth as nice as that!! Good work! ;) :D

Now a request... I don't suppose you have any nice scenic photos including the old girl do ya? Make me a nice wallpaper?? If you ever get the chance, snap a quick one at say 1200 x whatever.. Make my old junk laptop pretty again!! :lol:


GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Bill, can you get a close-up shot of the side covers and discuss what technique you used to paint them?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
Bill, as you know, I haven't been here for a spell and then I come on to find your AWESOME 450 and I am at a loss for words. That is oneOUTSTANDING JOB YOU HAVE DONE! :cool: ;)


Take care Bill, Bill ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MNellis said:
Bill, can you get a close-up shot of the side covers and discuss what technique you used to paint them?
Will this do??

The paint is Duplicolor "Ultra Silver" rattlecan over Duplicolor Self-etching primer then Filling Primer, with 2-part urethane clear coat applied with hvlp - this is for the entire bike, including the originally chromed fenders. Everything was stripped to bare steel with aircraft paint remover (hot stuff !!).
Painting the fenders was easier than I expected - just roughed up the (trashed) chrome with some steel wool and sandpaper, then primed 'em up.

The badges (emblems) are just hand painted with model airplane paint and tiny brushes.
Pretty hi-tech, huh?? Sprayed the entire badge first with the Ultra-silver, then painted over parts with black model paint.
Replaced the rubber grommets (trashed) with rubber washers and chrome washers from the hardware store.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
GOOD DOG Bill, that thing is absolutely stunning man!! I can only hope if my old 450 ever gets finished that it looks a tenth as nice as that!! Good work! ;) :D

Now a request... I don't suppose you have any nice scenic photos including the old girl do ya? Make me a nice wallpaper?? If you ever get the chance, snap a quick one at say 1200 x whatever.. Make my old junk laptop pretty again!! :lol:


GB :mrgreen:
GB - I live in Indiana, man - we don't have much in the way of stunning scenic panoramas here.
Unless you're partial to corn ????

I can't even get to the Lake Michigan beach anymore locally, the town charges $5 just to get in the parking lot now (even for just a drive-through) !!!!

But I'll keep it in mind..........all the "after" shots in the Project Log are avaialble in hi-res.
If any of those will do let me know and I'll get the original to you....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Just keep it in mind for me Bill.. Anything can be in the background, because the bike grabs your attention! I just wanted one that fit my 15+" screen. I actually just went through your site and the new photos, and MAN ALIVE you're a stickler for the details! :shock: You should be proud!

Now get her into the local shows!!! ;)

GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Will this do??

The badges (emblems) are just hand painted with model airplane paint and tiny brushes.
Pretty hi-tech, huh?? Sprayed the entire badge first with the Ultra-silver, then painted over parts with black model paint.
Replaced the rubber grommets (trashed) with rubber washers and chrome washers from the hardware store.

[/quote]

Yup, that will do. I should have been more clear, the badges is what I was looking for. I tried to do the tank badges on the 350 with piss poor success. I did not try the model brush route. As usual, I was looking for an easy way but, as usual, there is not one probably.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MNellis said:
As usual, I was looking for an easy way but, as usual, there is not one probably.
No, it wasn't easy, and that's a fact - actually it sort of sucked. I had to sit under a really bright light with one of those big magnifiers on a gooseneck, and I screwed up a lot.
And painting is not something I'm all that good at in the first place .........
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top