Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent hours shaking screws etc inside petrol tanks to clean out rust until my arms are nearly dropping off. Well I heard a good one the other day,protect the tank and tie it to the inside of a concrete mixer & let it run.Might give this a try one day.Oops not got a concrete mixer. :( :(

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah - there was a page on that technique in Classic Bike a couple of months back wiv pictures and everyfink . . .

Personally, I prefer using a length of narrow link chain for the shaking-up bit (it's easier to pull out again), and then fill the tank up with Hammerite Rust Remover Dip. £12-ish for a litre, which then dilutes to ten. Ignore the instructions about how long it takes - leave it for at least 3 days. And it's paint-safe, too.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have also seen people wrap them carefully and put them in the dryer on spin only, stuffed in there tight so it just spins.

Or tied to a tractor or car wheel... some interesting videos on youtube.

I personally went with electralysis method and it worked really well for me. And was almost free, just a couple bucks for the washing soda as I had powersupplies and wire already. Took about 2 days for me, cleaning off the metal rod in the tank (i used 2 long m6 bolts...don't use stainless steel, its bad for this) every 8 hours or so and drained the mix once or twice throughout.

do in a ventilated area as it releases hydrogen and oxygen. and dont short the metal rod suspended in the tank to the edge of the tank or you get a short which will then cause a mild explosion of the accumulated hydrogen in the neck of the tank, which may or may not scare the **** out of you. did that.

i would still say that id rather deal with this than the strong acids.

http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/moto ... Setup.html

http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsae ... lysis.html

then i just drained well, sloshed around some isopropyl alcohol to help evaporate any left over water and then sloshed some 2stroke oil/gas mix to give the inside a bit of a coating. havent had any rust problems since.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi
If it doesnt leak, without doubt the best way is to contact Steve on 01582 613997 (UK).
He did my tank and its perfect no rust left at all. Well worth the money. He was based near Luton when I had my tank treated.
He is a chemist and does exactly what he promises.
A lot safer than a cement mixer or tractor wheel (was that one serious :D)

·
Registered
636 Posts
serious indeed, in the first 5 vids on youtube searching for "cleaning gas tank", you will find 3 that feature a fuel tank of some kind strapped to a wheel of tractor/4wheeler, etc with gravel or screws or whatever inside. I am sure it would work, and I would probably have tried it if I was a ******* living on a farm, not living in the city surrounded by people.

a lot less crazy and less dangerous than some of the acids and so on, I would say, but then the safest is to get someone else to do it I suppose.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Vinegar. The only way to go. Cheap, effective, easy, permanent. Anything more costly is pissing money away.

*damn, I've searched and searched and I cannot find the thread I started on the topic. I cleaned out my cb200 tank with vinegar and documented it in a thread. I searched on 'milkstone' and only ONE hit came up. And I KNOW that word has been typed in more than once...

*EDIT* D'oh! There it is, right on the front page. I guess I typed it as two words. Milk Stone. Sheesh. :lol: :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1376

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do something most don't recommend... I have a cabinet sand blaster. I make sure the tank is clean and washed then dry. I stick the nozzle inside and make circles through the filler hole to get to the corners. This works best on the smaller tanks. I have a CB750 tank was much harder to reach the areas farthest from the filler but a CL450 tank was a breeze. I use the air hose and/or the shop vac with a hose adapted to suck out the sand and rust. Keep tapping and rolling the sand and gunk to one side then suck it out. They come clean out very clean after a few rinses with fuel or mineral spirits. I'm sure there is some rust left unseen but there always will be some left stuck on the tank top inside. I drain the solvent or fuel through a paper towel so i can tell how much abrasive is coming out and can reuse the solvent for another flush. The key is to flush many times until it's clean. Wether you shake the nuts, chain, use a rust remover or fill it with bolts and run a marathon with a backpack you have to rinse it anyway and the abrasive isn't hard to get out.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Aside from Carb cleaner a good drain cleaner works the best.

I like to use crystal drano. You've got to remove the petcock from the tank if it's aluminum. It will dissolve aluminum. cover the hole with a cork or something, pour the water in first, then add the drano. It releases hydrogen gas, so don't smoke or get flames near it. The tank will get hot, let it sit overnight. Pour it out, repeat a couple of times and it will take the sludge out of the tank.

After that pour some phosphoric acid in the tank and rotate it around so it covers the entire inside surface. Flush with water and repeat. It will convert the rust inside the tank, use a gas filter for the first 10-15 fillups. There's really no need to coat the inside with anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts