Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I went to remove my petcock earlier to begin removing the rust from the tank, and the strainer part did not come out with it. The bike is a 1980 CB400t hawk

Here's what I got out:
Wire Electrical wiring Tire Automotive tire Electrical supply

Here's what's still in there
Auto part Metal Steel Rim

I just want to confirm that the orange bit (there's the outer ring of metal then the orange ring inside it) is actually supposed to come out, because it currently feels like it's cemented in there. Any tips to remove it? I am not worried about damaging it as I just checked and a whole new petcock is 7$ on ebay

Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update: It came out with WD-40 sprayed around the edges, pyring internally with a screwdriver until enough had been exposed to stick the screwdriver down the sides to separate the plastic from the rust to loosen it. Note this deforms the plastic and I now need a new petcock filter screen, but it came out in one piece.

Wire Auto part Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Cable

The tank looks decent from the filler cap but seems to have rust down the bottom.

Now to go pressure wash any loose rust out. Any suggestions for a mechanical way to get the rust out? I feel like the petcock opening is too small to reliably use BBs or screws.

I'm going to try metal rescue as I'm too impatient for vinegar and don't have a garage where I can mess around with acid etc.

Hopefully this will help someone like me who is just learning how to fix things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Update: It came out with WD-40 sprayed around the edges, pyring internally with a screwdriver until enough had been exposed to stick the screwdriver down the sides to separate the plastic from the rust to loosen it. Note this deforms the plastic and I now need a new petcock filter screen, but it came out in one piece.

View attachment 204009

The tank looks decent from the filler cap but seems to have rust down the bottom.

Now to go pressure wash any loose rust out. Any suggestions for a mechanical way to get the rust out? I feel like the petcock opening is too small to reliably use BBs or screws.

I'm going to try metal rescue as I'm too impatient for vinegar and don't have a garage where I can mess around with acid etc.

Hopefully this will help someone like me who is just learning how to fix things
Use folded link chain, 24" or so with metal rescue, shake it good then have a couple buddies shake it too, better if they're female and in bikinis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Tighten some small nuts and bolts with lock washers through the chain links. I've heard some wrap it up in a blanket, secure it with duck tape and put it in the cloths dryer. I like the females with bikinis idea best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
I have used a drill of just the right size to purchase on the orange ( was white ) plastic filter tube, along with lube to wash away the rust that tends to jam the filter tube in place, removed with no damage.

Use a cement mixer to strap or bracket the tank to, much less of an effort, but I understand what you say about bikini's dudes.

Your obviously not blind yet.

A magnet is also good at removing the last of the rust particles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, I'd forgotten about the chain idea. I got a few feet of the kind above and it feels like it works well. I don't have the technology (need the bike running to find the bikini clad women) to rotate it constantly so I'm soaking it one side at a time. I rinsed it out a couple times while shaking the chain around in there and the water coming out was very clear, so I'm thinking it'll be okay to do it without the constant agitation.

Update: chain worked well until it got stuck in the back right corner of the tank but came out with a special tool (mangled coathanger).

The metal rescue did what it claimed, the tank looks super clean. The only issue I had was the top bit flash rusting a bit after I washed it out and didn't get enough metal rescue on it. Got most of it back off by pouring the metal rescue from side to side over the top every couple minutes.

Now just drying out and should be ready to go very soon.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top