Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a gas tank with petcock for my 71 cb175. how does it work? how does the reserve work? how does it vent, thru the cap or petcock? its missing the fuel strainer and gas cap, so going to order a cap, gasket set and strainer, anything else?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
In the on position fuel is drained from the tank through a standpipe a few inches tall (it's part of the petcock assembly) so it doesn't get the last bit of fuel in the tank. In the reserve position it drains fuel pretty much all the way to the bottom of the tank so you can use the fuel you don't get in the on position. Tank vents through the filler cap. This parts fiche shows it pretty well:

Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
What I can find with that part number only shows the 2 o-rings. However, I did find another part number that appears to be a re-build kit:

16010-ZE2-812

·
Registered
4 Posts
MY non-running CB175 came with a 'single' petcock. I'm guessing the owner split the fuel line with a y-connector to the two carbs. Will that work, or should I replace it with a dual petcock? Or use a 5mm fuel line instead of a 4mm with the Y-connector?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello, it looks exactly the same as in CB125 K5. There are two rubber o-rings. One seal is round and seals bottom petckock bowl under the fuel screen filter. Second one is oval (stadium) shaped and provides sealing between petcock body and fuel tank. Have a look on attached picture:
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb175k5-super-sport-1971-usa_model421/partslist/F08.html
There were single petcock options for single cylinder. I think there should be no problem with Y connection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
...and don't forget the sealing washer under the fixing screw, otherwise the fuel will drip even in closed position.
the odd oval-shaped O-ring at the base can be replaced by a standard (round) O-Ring which keeps in place of the groove. unfortunately, I did not take the measurements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, it looks exactly the same as in CB125 K5. There are two rubber o-rings. One seal is round and seals bottom petckock bowl under the fuel screen filter. Second one is oval (stadium) shaped and provides sealing between petcock body and fuel tank. Have a look on attached picture:
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb175k5-super-sport-1971-usa_model421/partslist/F08.html
There were single petcock options for single cylinder. I think there should be no problem with Y connection.
I'm trying to figure out the O ring, marked as 11 on this diagram at cmsnl.com, same pic at Bike Bandit. Is that a round shaped and round cross section O ring that then is fitted to the rectangular shape of the petcock? I saw on another site it seems to be a square section shape of the ring. Also I'm wonder what the part is marked as item 3 on the diagram, but is not described in the parts list and I don't see it on my bike - maybe I'm supposed to have it? I also found mine didn't have the screen, so I will be getting that. I'm trying to fix mine so it doesn't leak and would like to get the right parts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello,

part 11 in my petcock is round 23mm oring fitted inside stadium shape row, part no 3 is not listed at CB125 partlist. Honestly I'm not sure if my petcock is 100% original,My reserve level is ca 5 liters which is twice as much as owner manual claims.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Besides the two o-rings , you need the "packing" part # 16955028004 .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Guys!
I got it fixed. found an O ring that fit the stadium shape row. Then I "restored" my old packing. About 4 days soaking in water and wintergreen oil softened it back up and now it works. I tried it after 2 days and it still leaked at the control valve, so took it apart and soaked it two more days. Now it's running and on the road after about 4 years in storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts