Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took the petcock off and cleaned it up and bent the spring washer to get a better fit. Worked great, no more dribbles. When I had it out, one of the brass tubes(reserve) was broken to the nub and of course there is no filter on it. I am leery about using the reserve because of the Kreemed tank(PO). That will be taken care of in a few weeks.

My thought was to get a piece of brass tube that will fit inside the broken nub to create a new reserve tube.

Does anyone have the inside and outside dimensions of that tube? I may just head over to a plumbing store and buy a few scrap size pieces in different diameters.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any luck with this?, I just winterized my CB360 an my reserve tube/pipe was also gone. I think this is wy I'm not getting the greatest reserve flow.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The tall brass tube is the "on" supply.... the hole (or short tube) at/near the base is the reserve....The difference in height determines the amount of the reserve supply.....
Just FYI....

·
Registered
145 Posts
66Sprint said:
The tall brass tube is the "on" supply.... the hole (or short tube) at/near the base is the reserve....The difference in height determines the amount of the reserve supply.....
Just FYI....
Thanks for the info, I figured that. So, my reserve tube has been broken off some where in it's life, now just a "hole/opening" remains. And have have always had a weired come and go flow when it came to the reserve. I did find a small copper tube that fits snuggly in the old reserve hole. How long should I make it? I figured just to the very bottom of the tank, this maybe way I have had this weird flow issue with the reserve. As for the petcock itself not rust at all(nor tank), I did give it a good cleaning and I have great/quick flow from the "on" supply tube and my reserve "hole" LOL. My hope are to have the reserve flow easeier by raising the hight back to OEM. So, I guess I this point I need the OEM Length of the reserve tube for my CB360. (sorry for the slight thread jack)

·
Registered
145 Posts
drones76 said:
It took the petcock off and cleaned it up and bent the spring washer to get a better fit. Worked great, no more dribbles. When I had it out, one of the brass tubes(reserve) was broken to the nub and of course there is no filter on it. I am leery about using the reserve because of the Kreemed tank(PO). That will be taken care of in a few weeks.

My thought was to get a piece of brass tube that will fit inside the broken nub to create a new reserve tube.

Does anyone have the inside and outside dimensions of that tube? I may just head over to a plumbing store and buy a few scrap size pieces in different diameters.
Drones, I picked up some 5/8 copper tubing for $1.50 at Ace Hardware, and it fits fairy snug for me. Now I just need the OEM length for my reserve. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had just pulled my petcock appart this weekend to clean it out.
The reserve "tube" was actually a fine brass screen tube about 1.5" tall. looked fairly fragile.

Becarful when reassembling the lever. if re-using the rubber gasket (the one with 4 holes) it can go back in two ways. I put the wrong side facing out and as soon as I put gas into the tank it started pouring out from around the lever...

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CB360 said:
drones76 said:

Drones, I picked up some 5/8 copper tubing for $1.50 at Ace Hardware, and it fits fairy snug for me. Now I just need the OEM length for my reserve. I hope this helps some.
5/8" ??? it was more like 1/4 or so as I recall. I am just keeping track of my gas between fill-ups and not counting on the reserve. I realize this is not the ideal situation. Over the winter I may take it back apart and get a piece of tube or a filter in there. If a tube will fit in there I am thinking that about 1/2 inch or so would be good to keep any nasty stuff from the bottom of the tank from getting in there. I also have a couple of gas line filters on it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
drones76 said:
CB360 said:
drones76 said:

5/8" ??? it was more like 1/4 or so as I recall. I am just keeping track of my gas between fill-ups and not counting on the reserve. I realize this is not the ideal situation. Over the winter I may take it back apart and get a piece of tube or a filter in there. If a tube will fit in there I am thinking that about 1/2 inch or so would be good to keep any nasty stuff from the bottom of the tank from getting in there. I also have a couple of gas line filters on it.
Sorry typo by me 5/32" is the size, I just had a typing brain fart. Sorry! I also found a local hobby store that carries 5/32" brass tubing for $3.77. So, I gonna try that. I'll post a pic of the copper set-up with the proper size for you.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You both seem to be missing the point..... The original was screen mesh and picked up fluid down to the base level..... Your reserve amount is the difference in heights based on tank volume.... The taller you make the reserve tube (the closer it is in height to the "on" tube), the LESS USABLE reserve capacity you have....Leave it open and run inline filters, or roll some mesh and insert it.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's my latest design. It is 5/32" BRASS tubing aprox. 1 3/4" in length which will reach the very base/bottom of the tank. Also I drilled-out 10 1/16" holes along the exposed tubing for full use of the reserve fuel. I hope that this "more" rigid tube that reached the bottom of the tank will allow better flow for my reserve.

·
Registered
372 Posts
CB360 said:
Here's my latest design. It is 5/32" BRASS tubing aprox. 1 3/4" in length which will reach the very base/bottom of the tank. Also I drilled-out 10 1/16" holes along the exposed tubing for full use of the reserve fuel. I hope that this "more" rigid tube that reached the bottom of the tank will allow better flow for my reserve.

Sorry, confused about the holes? Does you petcock have 2 tubes? I noticed that someone busted off one of mine. I would assume to allow for full drainage or usage of the gas??

·
Registered
145 Posts
1971 CB450 said:
Sorry, confused about the holes? Does you petcock have 2 tubes? I noticed that someone busted off one of mine. I would assume to allow for full drainage or usage of the gas??
Well, there should be two fuel tubes to the petcock, one for main fuel (on) and one for reserve fuel. I also notied that mine was broken off when I winterized my bike for the first time. I have always had some sort of "wried/inconsistant flow" when it came to my reserve, last 1/2 gal. The OEM petcock was a very fine brass screen tube that allowed the last 0.7 gal of fuel to flow thru the reserve. So, I was thinking that there was a reserve tube for a reason, flow????? I used the 10 holes as a "rough screen" so I can get the last drop of fuel, and if the top of my reserve fuel pipe ever gets clogged then I still can get fuel to the petcock :D . Ultimately I hope this fixes my fuel flow issue with my reserve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts