Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not figure out why I was running lean on the right side. I had a suspicion I was getting less flow to the right side as the carb bowl was less full than. So I hooked up two lines to the petcock and ran into separate bottles. The right side line was just dribbling and the other flowing!

I pulled the pet cock apart and the screen seemed ok. I blew through each line and it is clear to the bowl. The top hole from the tank is clear and the hole to the right is a straight shot to the bowl. What is the bottom hole for? Does it go any where? Is it from the tank for the reserve? The second feed?

How would this restrict fuel to one side? I guess it possible I cleared it just blowing through? Help!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't spell dum! I took it apart and the bottom hole was pretty plugged up so I blew it open. Cleaned it up, the rest looked pretty good. Put it back together and tested it, same thing, one side is stronger. Then it hit me, the petcock is not sitting flat, one side is a little lower the way it's mounted so the gas is taking the path of least resistance on going to the lower hole. Duh. Good news is the screen is clean, I replaced the seal in the bowl as it was shot, the one passage is open again and good for now. I realized the lower hole must be the one reserve side that someone broke off the stem to get 100% of the gas out of the tank. Now I know they have that for a reason, to keep from picking up crap and sucking it into the petcock.

I am just going to spring for a new petcock, screw it.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
wanna unload the old one cheap?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
outobie said:
wanna unload the old one cheap?
Looks like I can get close to half my money back on ebay? Who would pay $ 20 on this and them spend another $ 20 for a rebuild kit when new ones are $ 55.

Can you buy the little filter tubes? Is the left hole the reserve?

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
the shorter tube is the reserve, can't remember if it's right or left. for the race bikes I cut off both tubes anyhow so I don't have to switch to reserve during a race. that let's me run less fuel in the tank...the weight of a gallon of gas takes an extra horsepower to accelerate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts