Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
nice blank canvas there! :)

mods for the 450 can be more expensive than other bikes of this era, but you can do pretty much anything, from a simple overbore with higher compression pistons (Charlie's Place > Custom Forged Pistons For CB/CL 450 AND CB500T TWINS or direct from Wiseco) to performance cams, to full coil spring conversions. you may find that getting aftermarket pistons is easier and about the same price as getting OEM as they and rings are getting harder to find.

there are even dry clutches, external oiling systems with coolers, 6 speed tranny's etc etc available but very expensive.

electronic ignition is always good, check out Pamco or Charlies place or a few other options.

a properly running stock 450 engine has some good kick to it as is.

·
Registered
918 Posts
AFAIK, the stock CB450 engine has a marginal at best oiling system. Your best just to leave them alone unless you have a deep pocket. The engine stock is rated at over 100HP/liter, which is pretty damned efficient as is.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless you are going all on race motor with the 6000-10000 price tag you don't get much bang for you buck with them. Everything is big money for small gains. 450 is quite torquey motor and pulls pretty good stock. If you need more power save your money and go with the 750.

·
Registered
732 Posts
totally agree with the other 2 commentators, but please feel free to spend tons of dough and do up a high spec engine, just be sure to share lots of pics for us all so we can live vicariously. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK then, point taken, that doesn't sound too promising?
I'm sure there will more than enough opportunities to throw money at it as it is!
I was thinking along the lines of slightly lumpier cams, different carbs and pipes as a minimum? Mainly due to the fact it is a blank canvas (I could think of more descriptive words here. :mrgreen: ) I need to get cams, carbs and make up pipes anyway.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
OK then, point taken, that doesn't sound too promising?
I'm sure there will more than enough opportunities to throw money at it as it is!
I was thinking along the lines of slightly lumpier cams, different carbs and pipes as a minimum? Mainly due to the fact it is a blank canvas (I could think of more descriptive words here. :mrgreen: ) I need to get cams, carbs and make up pipes anyway.
Keep in mind that money spent on customizing and improvements seldom increase the value to match the investment, should you wish to sell. It is all to easy to spend $5000 and have a bike worth less. You will find that a stock standard bike in good condition is more sought after.
The prudent thing is to restore to standard specs, you will find all the parts you need on ebay (mostly X USA) and they will be cheaper than buying them in Oz. The CB450 was never very popular here.
If your wish is to modify then enjoy, just be aware of the state of the market.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Roo, I'm very aware of the potential losses. Old bike market isn't real flash in Oz at present I know...only have to look at the Z9's now, not getting anywhere near what they were and build costs are big.
I don't plan to hack anything about, never do, I always tend to find a way of getting it the way I'd like without the butchery or major components like frames etc. just in case the next owner does want to return to original.
I figure that $5k should be the limit of spending on this....but we all know how these things grow. :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
megacycle does cams that are meant to be used with the stock torsion bars and pistons, as well as other cams for higher spec engines. they also do replacement rocker arms, which are often trashed, and a spring conversion kit. no idea of cost.
http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog_optimized.pdf
going to Mikuni carbs is a common upgrade that people seem to really like, and if your stock carbs are trash anyway, why not? not much available in terms of aftermarket bolt on exhaust, but here are two options:
CB450 2-INTO-1 EXHAUST (2 into 1)
Benjie's Cafe Racers (2 to 2 or 2 to 1)
fun stuff!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My thinking for getting a 450 faster is to lose weight and lose frontal area. Leave the engine alone unless you're very rich. Don't go for a 2-into-1 exhaust as the 180 crank has uneven firing intervals. Mikuni (or Amal) carbs can work but you will need to go down a size on throat diameter (yes, down) and then play about with jetting : not worth while. Ditch anything that you legally can, fit low and narrow bars and, if you have that early Honda disc, replace it with something better.
Elvis Evans

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems your all saying the same thing re: engine mods, so I'll keep it more or less standard. I may play with other carbs if I can't get any good standard ones.
What are your thoughts on (very) mild cams? I know they should probably have head work to go with them, but again as I have no cams in this bike and need to get new ones anyway.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you want your 450 to be a faster ride, spend your money on replacing the sleazy stock suspension.
You'll ride faster (and safer) without modding the engine at all.
And, 2-into-1 exhaust work great, if they're engineered properly - the old Hooker pipes boosted performance while requiring no jetting changes at all.

·
Registered
732 Posts
big ones are bronze rear swing arm bushings, new rear shocks (Hagons are popular), and front tapered head bearings. And keep the front fender on (or at least the brace for it) or fab of a beefier fork brace, there doesnt seem to be any aftermarket fork braces available for the 450 forks.

in terms of pistons, I think the 74mm race pistons out there require resleeving. but the +1mm or +1.5mm pistons from charlie's place would not.

Bill, would love to hear some more thought on how to properly do a 2 -1 exhaust for the 450, it is something I have toyed with doing for a while now.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
big ones are bronze rear swing arm bushings, new rear shocks (Hagons are popular), and front tapered head bearings. And keep the front fender on (or at least the brace for it) or fab of a beefier fork brace, there doesnt seem to be any aftermarket fork braces available for the 450 forks.

in terms of pistons, I think the 74mm race pistons out there require resleeving. but the +1mm or +1.5mm pistons from charlie's place would not.

Bill, would love to hear some more thought on how to properly do a 2 -1 exhaust for the 450, it is something I have toyed with doing for a while now.
I'm not an enjineer, so I"m not qualified to suggest anything design related - other than length seems pretty critical.

But I can relate my personal experience.
I had a pair of CB450 K2's, put the old Hooker low style 2 into 1's on them (back in The Day).
The result was an immediate increase in power, I'd reckon in the 10% area. Both bikes were noticably quicker, neither needed any jetting stuff even though both had the early Filtron foam filters. Much lighter than stock exhaust, not much shoter than stock, a bratty sound, but no centerstand allowed.
Both these bikes also had Ceriani forks and Koni shocks, both were great in the mountains, a match for any bike around - I had to put CL footpegs on because the CB type were getting ground away.

All that really proves is that it is possible to do it (2-into1's) right......

·
Registered
732 Posts
cool, thanks Bill, and yeah the stock exhaust is really really hefty. I assume the dual wall headers were to help keep the exhaust velocity up by keeping it hot? or was it more of an appearance thing allowing the chrome?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
cool, thanks Bill, and yeah the stock exhaust is really really hefty. I assume the dual wall headers were to help keep the exhaust velocity up by keeping it hot? or was it more of an appearance thing allowing the chrome?
I can't confirm the double-wall construction, as I've never cut one apart, and I don't pass on anecdotal info.
They are indeed really heavy, and are much more durable than the smaller twins - 175/200 especially had total junk exhaust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts