Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CB 450 K2.I hope this isn't too weir a question .I am sure I am noticing a big difference between the way my bike runs in the cool as apposed to the heat of the day. The daytime temp here is getting up around 30ºc(86ºf) and 38ºc(100ºf) last Friday. Much cooler at night around 18ºc (64ºf) or lower. My bike does seem to get pretty hot . I have new replica air filters . the carbs are the original and has points ignition. Is it usual for the bike to run better in the cool weather ? thanks

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Really engines of any kind will run better in cooler temperature.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks very much guys, I get it . 40ºf Jim , thats like 5ºc. I would have to invest in some serious riding gear . Anyway, now I will be going for my rides much earlier in the morning this time of year. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
OK thanks very much guys, I get it . 40ºf Jim , thats like 5ºc. I would have to invest in some serious riding gear . Anyway, now I will be going for my rides much earlier in the morning this time of year. Thanks again
You might also want to consider using a thicker oil as well for warmer temperatures.
May try 20W50?

·
Registered
228 Posts
One reason I love that later bikes like my '85 Nighthawk 450 have oil coolers. I very much prefer an air cooled bike but oil coolers can make a huge difference. Last time I had a 70's Honda was a CJ360 and I got caught on I5 in 100f degree heat in a traffic jam. Lane splitting isn't legal in WA and I was kinda worried about the law at the time. A few times it started acting like it didn't even want to idle. Prolly barely avoided seizing t by just shutting it down a bit, but being kick only that was it's own special hell.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Cooler air is simply denser and your bike will perform better without upsetting your air/fuel ratio.
That's why the best drag strip runs are in the early morning.
I had a 90's 750 Nighthawk that would gladly ton-up on cool mornings but never on warm days... without feelling like I was asking too much.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 76TWIN .When I was started working on the bike, one of the Aussie members (450roo) was helping me(a lot) via PM only 1/2 hour time difference,Sydney to Adelaide and similar temps.He told me he bought his 450 new ,has done over a 100,000 miles . So I asked him what oil he uses... .20w60 and that is what I use.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
According to my original owner's manuals, 20W is fine above 0C, and recommends 20W50 for 'extreme, high temperatures'. Personally, I rarely ride below 10C, and draw the line above about 35C. That said, I find 10W makes it easier to start when cool, and 'extreme, high temperatures' is not my thing, so use 10W40. Honda didn't define 'extreme, high temperatures', but if I feel it is extreme, I stay in the air conditioning.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rick, it rarely gets below 10ºc where i live .Maybe in winter and probably at 2 or 3 am. Do you add anything to your oil ?,or for that matter to the petrol.(to protect the valves or seats) I use high octane 98 unleaded , but I would imagine in the 70s they had lead in the petrol .I have noticed that there are quite a few products at my local auto store for valve protection.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Your octane ratings may be different than here; we use the (R+M)/2 method, which adds the Research octane to the Motor octane, then divides. There is no direct way to derive R only or M only from our method, but 'they' claim it better represents the overall performance of the fuel. This was in response to the 'octane ad wars' we had, when 100 from one brand may not run as well as 95 from another. As far as the valves and seats go, Honda started using hardened seats and valve faces long before most auto makers, which essentially eliminated the need for lead; not for that reason though. It was the best way to put valves in an aluminum head, when most engines were cast iron.

The owner's manual says 95, but our highest now is often 93 (which is too high, and doesn't run well in this engine); I use 87, and never get pre-ignition (ping). The only thing I add to my tank is usually Seafoam, to take care of any water that binds with the 10% ethanol; the Seafoam keeps that mess from settling out. I use it mostly when the bike will sit a few weeks or more. Nothing added to the oil, as the additive package that is included is more than adequate, IMO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rick I have 4 options for petrol here (all unleaded) 91,95, 98, and E10 which is 95 octane 10% blended ethanol.I have only used 98 ,it is the most expensive at approx $1.60 per litre. E10 is about $1.35 . Good to know that the valve seats are hardened and I don't need to add stuff to the fuel. thanks again

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Nice you have the option of NOT using E10. Over here, we have to search for non-ethanol gas, which is usually over 3 liters distant, and costs even more, making it hard to use, unless you are traveling that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts