Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I once went on a date with a girl who had a showroom quality CL350. I remember trying her bike and remarking how it purred at a rock solid 900 RPM.

How can I dial in the engine like that on my Cb350? I've followed all the important tune-up procedures. Adjusted valves, set points timing exactly, dismantled and cleaned carbs, bench sync'd them, perfectly set both throttle cables. It idles at 1000 RPM but I can hear a little bit of roughness, a tiny unevenness to the rhythm, and if I leave it long enough sometimes it dies.

A few questions:

- when I set the timing, I didn't adjust the points gaps as the Common Motor Collective guide I was following said that doesn't matter as much as the timing itself. What effect does dialing in the gaps have on the idle performance if at all?

- How are we expected to perfectly sync the carbs on these engines without vacuum taps? How do people on here do it?

- Common motor collective's bench syncing video suggests 2 turns out as a starting point for the idle mixture. What do you guys set it to to begin with?

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
The 350 Manual calls for an idle speed of between 1100 - 1300.
Do you have a FULL Manual?

Common Motor Collective has a page to download the complete pdf.

BTW: Her Tach may have been off or the bike was in better/newer condition.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I didnt realize that the idle was specced that high.

What does points gap affect in terms of performance?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Use a strobe timing light on it and you may be surprised how your timing will vary depending on points quality and advancer wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts