Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still looking for an alternator cover and carb float bowl for my 450, 73 model. Engine is coming along well with most all aluminum polished nice and shiny now. I'll post some pix in a short while as soon as I get the clutch cover polished. Lots of sanding with that one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i may have what you need in a box in back of garage.do you cars if alt. cover says honda or not? also have ALOT of old carb parts and some even complete.shoot me an e-mail back and we can go from there.tim...

·
Registered
134 Posts
you have to watch those float bowls. i had an extra set of carbs for mine even. when i cleaned the org. it had a pin hole. so i soaked a spare and it had 3 pin holes, so i lucked out on the last one (they did not put the gasket back on the drain screw and must have leaked all fuel out) because it looked new. so out of 4 carbs only 2 bowls were good.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Haoleman said:
Still looking for an alternator cover and carb float bowl for my 450, 73 model. Engine is coming along well with most all aluminum polished nice and shiny now. I'll post some pix in a short while as soon as I get the clutch cover polished. Lots of sanding with that one.

Let me know if you can't come up with a float bowl - I probably have one.
Can't help you out with the alternator cover. There's a new one on EBay right now, but you'll have to bid on it.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...1338471QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the leads. Here's a couple of pix[attachment=0:35wx5hn1]Honda 003.jpg[/attachment:35wx5hn1][attachment=1:35wx5hn1]Honda 002.jpg[/attachment:35wx5hn1][attachment=2:35wx5hn1]Honda 001.jpg[/attachment:35wx5hn1]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
OMG, that engine is striking. Very nice work. I would never had thought that colour would look any good, but boy am I wrong. Nice job on the polishing too.

Also, you actually make the starting motor look good. I was going to do that on my CB400, but never after. You make me wonder if I should go back and do it.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly!... The "Gold/Silver" look has always appealed to me ....
If any bike NEEDS polished aluminum engine mount plates, that one does!...
"Gold/Silver" wheels would really be the topper (gold hubs, polished brake plate or rotor, silver/chrome spokes, and a gold anodized alloy rim)... Or two tone mags!.... :cool: :cool: :cool:
Very nice!...............

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks guys for all the compliments. I talked to the guy at Omar's and he gave me the idea. I saw his clubman conversion and was taken aback by it so that's where I am headed.
My hands will never be the same with all the sanding and polishing. In case anybody is interested, I bought an 8" buffer from Harbor Freight and bought 6" buffs from our local Northern Tool for $3.99 each and doubled them up. That makes a nice buff that is 1+ inches wide and for a cost of only $8.00 per side vs an 8 inch buff that is around $15.00 per side. That way I can use 4 seperate buffs for different grades of buffing compounds. After sanding with 400 w/d I resand with 600 w/d and then go to a course white or black buff compound and then tripoli. Wash clean and polish with a clean micro fiber cloth and then clearcoat. You have to be in a Zen mood to do it. You know "Wax on, wax off". Look at it as the male form of knitting! A little at a time until it's done. My only problem is that I am developing arthritus in my index fingers so I have hell to pay the next morning after a 4 hour session. It's getting there though. The paint is Duplicolor 500 degree engine paint DE 1604 Universal Gold, DE 1612 Grey Primer, DE 1636 Clearcote. One can of each is suficient. I only used clear on the aluminum. I baked the engine in a cardboard box oven :lol: at 175 degrees using a $15.00 cube heater. It took 4 hours to get it up to 175 and then I cooked it for another hour. Am I worried about fire? Nah! It takes over 400 to ignite papar and there is no way it could get that hot plus I was right there the whole time "polishing". :geek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts