Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting my project bike and I wanted to know if an SL350 rear fender will fit a CL350 frame with little problems. I'm aware the rear support won't be there, but I'd think a solution wouldn't be too difficult? I just like the look of the SL fender, for the end result I'[m going for.

And along with that, I'm in search of a bigger tank, something a little more sporty looking. I'm prepared to make new mounts and modify the seat if necessary, but I'm not sure what tanks will or will not fit.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
SL350 parts are hard to come by these days. Especially those aluminum fenders. If you've got a nice set of them then I'd consider Ebaying them. As for compatibility I'm not sure either way...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Looking at the various parts fiches, the answer is probably . . . but much depends on what year SL fender you want to use.

All three (K0/K1/K2) have the short rear outer fender - the painted bit that attaches to the rear frame tube - but only the K1/2 have an internal fender extension. The K0 inner was an integral part of the frame, which makes it pretty much useless to you - as does the way it mounts to the frame (rubber grommets sticking out of the sides of the fender as opposed to a rubber mounted bolt passing through the frame on the later models).

You'll need both parts of one of the later ones if you want any hope of keeping the whole arrangement rigid - particularly if it's not being mounted to an external frame rail. The outer parts seem to appear fairly regularly on eBay, but you might find the inners to be more problematic.

Can't help much with the tank, I'm afraid. See if you can get hold of some of the guys who race the small capacity CB/CL's - they'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found an entire page of fenders - both the inner and outer - on ebay, for pretty short change. I just didn't know if they'd work or not, it seenm like the frames between the SL and CL are just different enough, most notably the bar that crosses over the top of the fender for the rear support bracket.

I did manage to find out that the 350F has a slightly bigger tank that supposedly is a direct swap. I'm still looking for other tanks, I mainly want more capacity, but if I can make the bike look better in the process, cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts