Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have accumulated a decent amount of parts over the years. I have given myself the challenge of building a bike strictly from spare parts. The idea is to buy as little as possible. Tires, tubes, and bearings have been the only purchases thus far.

Here’s are the basics so far:

CB500t frame
CB450 swingarm and motor
CM400 wheels and front end
Harley Davidson Rapido handlebars
KC truck light I got off of a wrecked truck at work.
LED work lights I never used on another project.
Grips from my first bike I saved out of sentiment.
I’m hoping to adapt the front caliper/master cylinder from a Triumph Bonneville or Royal Enfield Continental GT I have in my parts collection.
Continental GT shock absorbers.

Given my 18/16 wheel configuration, I chose to use Shinko 270’s in 4.00-18 and 5.00-16. I got them mounted up with fresh tubes.

I’ll have some garage time tomorrow, so I should be able to have a roller then.

Attachments

Reactions: JamesPal

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was able to get things rolling today- pun intended. There is some trimming to do around the neck to allow the CM400 front end to rotate unobstructed. It went on easy enough.

The CM400 rear axle is smaller than the CB450 one, so I’m gonna have to machine a spacer or collar to adapt it to the swingarm slots.

I did a zip tie mock-up of the lights I have. I’ll need to sort out the mounting.

I got the engine guard mounted. I want to narrow it a bit since I’m really only utilizing it to mount the lights, not to guard the engine. I’ll have to mock up the engine and exhaust to make sure I have room to do that.

I’m not sold on the bars, but my parts bin is limited in that area. They feel really good, but aesthetically they’re just hard to swallow. I think narrowing them a bit may help, but I need to make sure I have room to do that with the controls mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Look'n good. You might want to get the engine in before going too far on the rear axel spacer. You might be challanged getting the sprokets to align. I remember reading a CB360 swing arm might fit the rear axel.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look'n good. You might want to get the engine in before going too far on the rear axel spacer. You might be challanged getting the sprokets to align. I remember reading a CB360 swing arm might fit the rear axel.
I believe you are correct. It looks as though CM400 and CB360 both have 17mm rear axle diameters. The CB450 one I have is 20mm. I don't have one laying around, so I might just have to make what I have work. It would be easy to snag one somewhere, but I made the goal of not buying parts for this one. Perhaps I can do some trading somewhere.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to think of it though, the 360 swingarm may actually cost less than anything that would sleeve the rear axle to work in the 450 swingarm.

Reactions: JamesPal
1 - 7 of 7 Posts