Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of skeleton 500 twins. No exhaust, tanks, seats or useful chrome anything. But what may be useful:

swingarm (slightly longer than the 450, and bolts right up)
two complete motors- I will tear down at least one, so stroker crank, etc. available
very good stator covers!
very good clutch actuating pivot
misc. brake parts
carb set

I have bought and sold lots of stuff here, and have a good reputation. Will ship anywhere, at your expense. Oh and btw I'm located now in the Seattle area, not SF. Email with needs, I'll send pics and price.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Actually I'm in Tacoma, and find myself truly ambivalent about the weather up here; shorter riding season yes, but that means more shop time over the winter. Maybe THIS is the year I finish my flat track-ish 450D project and actually get to ride it :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thank you! Actually I'm in Tacoma, and find myself truly ambivalent about the weather up here; shorter riding season yes, but that means more shop time over the winter. Maybe THIS is the year I finish my flat track-ish 450D project and actually get to ride it :)
If you don't mind a bit of rain and being cold, you can still ride through most of the year here. It doesn't snow often nor much here.
You should check out VME (Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts). There is a chapter in Tacoma as well.

https://www.vmemc.org/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are the engines in running condition without needing tore apart? Maybe compression numbers would be good to have if you can get them. How much would it be for a complete engine? I have a good frame with a bad engine.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are orphan engines at this point, not worth the trouble of getting them into a test bed to run. One is already torn down, and some parts sold. The other is still complete, but you would need to go through everything to check for wear, replace seals, etc. just like any other motor that has sat awhile. And shipping would be expensive to you for a big lump of mystery....

Why not rebuild yours? No need to buy parts you already have in good condition. I have from the first engine a good set of std bore pistons/barrels (hard to find), good cams, valves, possibly another good set of followers (already sold the first set). Transmission or shifting issue? Got those as well. Hope I can help you help yourself :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
are you the one selling them on CL a couple weeks back?

·
Registered
214 Posts
How much longer is a 500 swing arm compared to a 450's. I'm looking to do an slight extension on my Veterans Charity bike build. maybe 2". Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Jamie, a CB360 swingarm is 2" longer and bolts right on, you just have to use different chain adjuster parts but it's easily doable. I'm not sure if the 500T swingarm is any longer

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Note that you'll have to widen the axle slots in the 360 swingarm to fit the slightly larger diameter 450 axle......Get the longer 360 rear drum torque stay while you are at it.....
I just ran a 350/360 rear wheel on mine (slightly smaller drum, 4 less spokes) with no problems and an unsprung weight reduction.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts