Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed an install of new headlight and front turn signals after removing an aftermarket fairing from PO. This is a 1979 CM 400a for my wife; first project was to clean up the carburetor with new gaskets, jets, etc. With that done I moved on to the fairing and lights but ran into a spiderweb of wiring that I spent hours trying to decipher from the PO. The colored wiring diagram here was a huge help, and after a new battery this morning everything seemed to be working great: headlight works, turn signals work, dash lights work, electric start works, and the bike runs like a champ.

And then my neighbor knocked on the door after dinner to let me know that the brake light was on. I went out ready to disconnect the battery so it wouldn't drain out overnight and work on it in the morning, but after turning the key from "P" to "Off" the light went out. So, does anyone know where I went wrong in my wiring?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Nothing wrong with the wiring. When you use the 'P' (park) position , the tail light should come on and stay on. The key will come out in this position. It is meant for instances when you are at the side of the road at night (out of gas, won't start condition, etc), so people can see that your bike is there.
Always use the 'off' position when leaving the bike off. Some models from other countries have an extra bulb in the headlight for this position as well.

Reactions: jcashcoach
1 - 3 of 3 Posts