Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just installed on my 72 K5 and now bike will not start. I have a good spark on both cylinders and fuel to both. I have timed it to the LF mark on left cylinder on the starter motor, but not so much as a cough. Any help would be greatly appreciated as [email protected] just bounces straight back "failure notice"
Thanks

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
spray a little starting fluid into your carb intakes and try again. If it starts or sounds like it's trying to then your issue is a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How was it running BEFORE you installed the EI? And why did u install it?
There is a SLEW of threads on trouble shooting these..
Are u still running the original RR?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It maybe as simple as swapping the coil wires..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Just installed on my 72 K5 and now bike will not start.
Though we can find out what "72 K5" you're talking about by going to your introduction post, it would help in the future (until you can add it to your signature after your 10th post) to mention the bike you're working on in your posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
... I was just GUESSING it was a 450DOHC.. was I wrong?? I'm still new to this "Honda" game..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
... I was just GUESSING it was a 450DOHC.. was I wrong?? I'm still new to this "Honda" game..
it is a DOHC 450... if you go to his profile and look at his previous posts, he mentions it in his introduction... which gives him points already, since so many join here and just can't find the 3 places where the information is posted about introductions so we can help them better

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
... original regulator and rectifier

This is a problem. I would advise you to take the Pamco out and go back to points until you have upgraded the regulator and rectifier with a modern all in one unit.

The Pamco as with most electronics, are extremely sensitive to voltage surges which can actually damage it.
Where are you from?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Thanks. Which coil wires? I have already tried starting fluid (Easy Start as its called over here). No joy. I also believe it still has its original regulator and rectifier
There are only two that matter - the ones that went to the points; the other coil wires go to the same power source. If left and right are swapped, the timing will be very much out.
So, just how did you verify timing? And, do you have a timing light, so you can check to see which side is actually firing when you crank the engine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts