Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Istalled second PAMCO on new bike. When I get the plate spot on, it blasts to full advance at 3k when I start the bike. I know there is a simple fix, I'll keep going, just dropping a line here in hopes someone can save my brain some work, its Saturday! Thanks!

Little update. I can get the LF marks on the left cylinder, the right cylinder is retarded. How should I split the difference? The advance also hangs above 3k-4k.

So I moved the boards together and I've gotten the right and left cylinder in pretty good positions, however it still hangs at 2500 when I rev up to 4500. Sick of battling with this thing!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Not sure about the full advance.,, but according to Pamco Petes troubleshooting suggestions (it's in one of the MANY Pamco threads) you can "split the difference" between the two.. some people have adjusted one of the hall sensors to get the both spot on..
Keep us posted regarding your progress .. especially the "full advanced" issue.
You could TRY sending Pete a email..but the "customer service department" is lacking to say the least...
Oh, totally forgot.. what year /model? Also.. how was it running prior to the Pamco install?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I installed another on my 500t about a year ago, best investment I ever made in the bike, went in easy and still performs great. Been through all the posts, hard to sort through for solutions.

This bike is a 71 CL450. Ran pretty well considering the coils were toast (see photo) just misfired on the left side occasionally. So, I've got new coils, plugs, wires, caps, etc.. plus electric ignition. I can feel it staying advanced right at 3k and then dropping back down to idle, could it really be the matter of a hair or two in one direction?

Pete actually replied on a thread of mine when I had a hiccup with the wiring on my 500t setup, ended up being my fault.

Checked the advance with my timing light and it looked good on both sides, so did the marks for each cylinder. Wouldn't be here unless I was totally stumped!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well, if it was running properly with the points.. and you have double, triple checked the wiring installation.. your unit maybe either wrong or not working proper..

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've had the thought of just throwing the points back in but I'm not giving up before I waste a few more hours.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So quick little update (if anyone else encounters this problem). I believe I figured my problem, basically what I did (and what is recommended on the instructions) is to get the idle real low. Turns out my tach is pretty off, probably by 5-800 or so.
I remembered how low my 500t idles, around 1k< or so with the PAMCO. So I dropped the idle down and it seems to have smoothed out the problem at least at an idle.
In gear the tach drops lower, says I'm at 500 but sounds right. I'll take the bike for a ride and see how it goes. Hopefully this will be the fix

Edit: went for ride, still had a little issue,now have the bike idling at 0 on the tachometer. Oh my.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting things sorted out... keep us posted..

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
One thing to remember is the PAMCO does advance as RPM's increase. I don't see the PAMCO ever being able to rev to 3k by itself.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I had the timing advanced too far. A fair bit of shifting the boards around got me where I needed to be. The advance not returning is probably due to some binding or sticking somewhere with my cables or carbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts