Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking at tools to remove gas tank dents. I read about the kits with a series of shaped rods but really felt the learning curve was going to be pretty steep. Just to much I don't know about metal stressing (including the terminology) and not enough years left to learn all I should. So, I ended up buying a puller that straddles the dent and pulls on a shaped plastic piece hot glued to the dent. It's more of a "brute force and ignorance" then finesse tool, more my type. It works really well. Cup shaped dents with no creasing will pop out cleanly. Not a lot of experience yet but I've found that where there was a crease I can still feel a little distortion at the pucker point (another technical term) but it's a spot putty fix now.

I can't say it is paint less as the glue pulled a paint flake off at the crease. However the smooth dents it will pull without any paint marks. I have no doubt that I will get better at reading the dent and then do a better job of pulling the rough spots. Should work on fenders as well.

The puller is solidly built with a nice finish. The plastic anchors seem tough with many shapes and sizes. You can buy replacements cheaply. The instructions are near useless. Delivery was about a month, slow boat from China, but it was free.

$40.00Cdn ($30.00US). For the price this is a great tool. Almost any dent, in anything, will cost you more than $40 on resale.

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts
Was going to ask for a link but figured out that's what the "Robot Check" at the bottom of the page is for.:rolleyes::whistle:

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I sold new cars these were just coming around. Talking to a few guys I was told nothing but a grinder would work on a crease. But on flat panels those things are awesome !

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did take some pictures while doing the repairs, it is hard to get a decent photo of a dent. I have tried it on two cb400 tanks with different shapes of dents and it has worked really well.

I slipped loading the one bike (had it sold) and managed to drop it on the square, steel fender of my trailer. Starting about 2" below the N and running towards the rear for 10" there was/is a creased dent. It has pulled the main buckle but the crease line is still noticeable. The metal has been stretched along the crease so it will need further work and likely filling.

The second tank came damaged with a number of dings. The only spot it didn't pull cleanly was at the edge where it dips slightly towards the bracket for the badge. I think that will be covered by the badge.

Notes.
A bit of rubbing alcohol around the glue patch will take it off cleanly.
Put the glue on the puller and then give them a bit of a push and twist when placing, they stick better.
I found a few smaller pulls of the same spot with different shaped pullers worked better with the larger dents.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made a cheap pull hammer to work with the puller's anchors.

Bought one of theses fittings. Added a 12" rod threaded at both ends. Welded appropriate sized washer to 3" long x 1" pipe, slide onto the pull rod, filled it with small rusty nuts for weight and then welded on a matching washer to close it. Slid a heavier gauge washer on the rod, put on the cap nut and then welded the two together.
I haven't had a chance to use it. It should help with the tight spots that I can't get at with the straddle puller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts