Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while i'm waiting for my new engine i thought i'd do some touch up here and there. can you guys recommend some good paint for these? black of course, and i'm thinking more flat than gloss. they do have just a slight shimmer to them now, as most of you already know. and the steps taken to repaint them? do sand em completely, specific chemicals, prime? lay it ALL out there for me. as usual many thanks in advance.

-seth

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I restored my guages but if I was to do it again (which I will here real soon), I would use a flat paint instead of gloss and clear coat. I will still use clear but probably a satin clear next time. Additionally, I'll be taking them apart again but I'm going to try a different approach to removing the ring.

You can see my process at various points on the first 3 pages of this thread. In hindsight I should have included more detail....maybe next time.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=639

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Hey there ferris,

Mine came all dodgy lookin when I got 'em...poorly sprayed with cheap aerosol paint. First I hit em with paintstripper, then with wet/dry paper, then primed with self-etch primer, then several light coats with satin black (both rattle can). Came up a treat, the technique is all in the masking and peeling off of the tape.

Hows the rubber weather strips?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rubber is in great shape on mine. i've heard a little Armor All can't hurt on those parts?
so... paint strip, light sand, etching primer and a good quality satin black? no clear coat for you leethal? stopping by the hardware store on the way home, keep you all posted with pics.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
were you guys able to take these apart successfully? i was thinking that is how i planned on painting just the black shells but they seem to be pressed together pretty well. any ideas? are they supposed to come apart?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Pulling them apart isnt worth the effort, nor the crumpled look after you press the rim back on. Best bet is just a good tape job. I didnt clear coat mine, but it wouldnt be a bad idea. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I took the painters tape method like everyone else and sanded down with sandpaper. Shot my gauges with epoxy appliance paint and they turned out awesome. I prefer glossy over the flat.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
krukster86 said:
I took the painters tape method like everyone else and sanded down with sandpaper. Shot my gauges with epoxy appliance paint and they turned out awesome. I prefer glossy over the flat.
No Pictures????

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got an extra set of gauges for $13 shipped I am going to attempt to take break one of the sets down and maybe...just maybe customize the face plate a bit...if not at least just restore them to their original beauty.(I foresee this going very badly...That's why I got a backup -_-)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Painting gauges, cont'd...

well... Mike Nellis is inspiring, my bike isn't running and my "clocks" are beat up. so last night i started breaking into the tachometer.

here's how it went and continues to go...

assembly tonight as the paint is drying today. yep i'm using the same paint as mike but started with a few coats of sandable primer first just because i had it laying around. this morning things looked like they were drying really smooth so i expect the paint job to look pretty close to professional. several VERY LIGHT COATS is the key. i do have to fix a minor drip as didn't follow my own instructions, but overall i'm pleased so far. replacing the ring with JB Weld, well that could be another story. wish me luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Good job so far. I don't think I mentioned it but here is a trick to putting the ring back on. I used a clamp to hold the top and bottom halves together when installing the ring. The two parts try to move around when you are installing the ring.

I just used a small bit of the JB Weld on each end of the rings and I also put a dab on the underside groove of the ring as sort of a reservoir......remember, for cleanup purposes, less is better.

Great idea about the paint marker for the tip. I wish I would have thought of that. At least there is still time for my tach. I painted it last night as well so I'm in the same position as you.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
The dremel cut is a novel idea...no muss no fuss...just be sure to glue it with the join at 6'oclock :ugeek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts