Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock chrome rims are horribly pitted with rust so I'm in the process of painting them, along with re-spoking. My only concern will be when it comes time to spooning on new tires. I just installed a new rear tire on my CB500X yesterday morning and it has me wondering how home painted rims will hold up to this process. I have rim protectors and was able to install the stiff Shinko 805 with no paint damage but I'm thinking the stock rim paint will be much more durable than my home painted rims. Anyone install tires on painted rims? How did it go? Wondering if I'd be better off priming the rims and then install the spokes and tires before painting. Would be a bit of work taping off everything but I'd be sure of having damage free paint.

Also, for my 350 I'll be going with Duro tires, how are these for installing?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Don't know about the tires but my own preference would be tires first then paint. That's cuz I just don't have that gentle touch needed to keep from scratching the paint.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hello,I agree tires first then paint.maybe some petroleum jelly on the tires to keep the over spray off the new tires.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
There's always this card trick you can use if you mount your tires first and paint your rims before airing up.

25a279fde726be20f25a82c5a1515a7c.jpg paintrims3.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update on this topic since I just spooned on a new front tire yesterday. Turns out the paint made out ok. I didn't have the rim fully painted and clear coated but did prime and apply a few layers of colour before lacing the wheel so that it would already have the majority of work done and I'd have much less to do after installing the tire (just touch up the colour and then clear). I really expected the paint to be damaged during the tire install but I think a large reason it wasn't was the fact the Duro tire was extremely easy to install so it went on without a terrible amount of effort. A stiffer tire probably would have been harder on the rim. I also used rim protectors which worked out good.

Regardless, very pleased with how it went and I hope to get the paint and clear done soon. I'll probably go the same route with the rear tire as well.

For anyone thinking of painting their stock chrome rims here is the process I used: scuff the chrome really good with a course grit sandpaper, treat rust, primed with SprayMax 2k epoxy primer, wet-sanded this primer smooth and then primed with Dupli-color high build, after wet-sanding again painted with Dupli-color laquer. I'll now wet-sand again then spray more colour laquer then clear with SprayMax 2k Gloss clear. Hoping this will stand up over time.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
painting rims with the spokes installed kinda .. sucks. Lots of tape.. and I have only seen very few done well (actually powdercoated)...
I'm curious, if anyone has attempted to lace a rim and hub with the tire installed??
I know there is enough space and movement of the tires to access a nipple or two....but either way, just seems like a whole lot of work.
Here is a thought, painting just the center section (leaving the bead edge bare), lacing the hub.. THEN paint the outside edges...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts