Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To clear coat using Spraymax 2k or not the cases?I’ve painted my cases using VHT Metallic. I’m letting it off-gas for a week while we’re on vacation in a room that is 68 degrees 25 percent humidity. I’ll bake it at 250 degrees once we get home. I’ve been struggling with should I clear coat the cases. I ride some gravel roads and would like to wipe off the road grim and of course protect the newly painted cases as much as possible. Any opinions from experience with 2k clear on the cases?

·
Registered
206 Posts
What's the temperature rating on 2K clear coat once applied? Will the engine heat cause it issues?

My engine is vapour blasted and it was suggested to try Boeshield T9 coating to protect the outside of the engine from corrosion, dirt, oil, etc. Spray on, wipe off, and it dries to a waxy finish. Haven't tried it yet so cannot offer any input on how it works. The reviews are good however. Maybe someone else can weigh in on it.

From their site:

"On grimy city streets, salted highways, dusty backroads, or wet, muddy trails, your vehicle can be exposed to extreme elements and harsh substances every time you use it. Boeshield T-9® provides waterproof lubrication and protection against rust and corrosion throughout your car, truck, SUV or motorcycle.

Tough but safe. T-9 will not harm paint, plastic, rubber, fiberglass or vinyl. It can be used on engines, wiring and belts. T-9 is nonconductive and will not cause short circuits, so it’s also safe to use on electronics. To use T-9 on engines, apply when the engine is still warm but not running.

One step to long-term protection. Apply T-9 to any metal surface and let it dry. One simple step gives you a thin, penetrating film of durable, waterproof protection and lubrication that endures, month after month, mile after mile.

Our guarantee. Based on more than 30 years of evidence, we know that Boeshield T-9® is the best product of its type on the market. But if you can find a penetrating lubricant/protectant that is better than T-9, let us know. We’ll refund your purchase price."

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been using Boeshield T9 on outboard motors under the cowling and it really does work well but needs to be renewed often, there used to be a "Sprayon" product called 777 that dried quite a bit harder and lasted longer but after Sherwin Williams bought Sprayon they discontinued it, CRC has a film type spray for storage but the Boeshield works much better in a marine environment. On outboards all of the aluminum alloy gets freckled with corrosion and the T9 does a great job inhibiting that. I have been told that both T9 and 777 were developed for use on aircraft carriers, i often feel like living on warm salt water in Florida is the most destructive environment there is.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I wouldn't clear coat it. If the base coat isn't formulated specifically for basecoat/clearcoat use the top coat will lift later. You can clear coat any kind of paint and it will look good for a while but u/v exposure from being in the sun will eventually cause it to fail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts