Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dammit! I started painting my matte clear coat and the orange paint underneath started to bubble up. Did I not wait long enough for the paint to cure or are the 2 paints likely incompatible? Used an etching primer, then a gloss enamel, then tried to spray matte enamel over it. Paint dried for about 16 hours. It felt a little sticky but I thought it was just the glossiness. It was about 70 degrees here yesterday, the low was probably in the upper 50's overnight. I am guessing I rushed it but is there a chance the matte clear is not compatible with the gloss base coat?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Sounds like the paint never hardened since it felt sticky which may mean the paint wasn't compatible with the primer. Adding clear to uncured paint will definitely cause paint failure. Could be wrong but sounds like it's a strip and start over process now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
In general, enamel on enamel should be fine, no? Usually you hit compatibility when going acrylic over enamel or vice versa (can't remember which direction isn't allowed).

It sounds to me like you didn't follow the instructions for cure times - usually there's an instruction on the can that says "Wait 10 minutes for the next coat, and all coats must be completed within an hour or additional coats can be added after 7 days". My usual process is:
- 1 coat of primer, wait ten minutes, second coat of primer, wait 30 minutes to cure
- 4 coats of color with 10 minutes in between each, and then wait for the 7 day cure
- very light wet sand if necessary, and 4 coats of clear over the top with 10 minutes between each, wait 7 days to cure after

That's most VHT paints - follow the instructions on your can to the letter though and you should be fine. You'll need to strip and repaint though.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
In general, enamel on enamel should be fine, no? Usually you hit compatibility when going acrylic over enamel or vice versa (can't remember which direction isn't allowed).
I didn't learn much when my Dad was doing all the family painting, but I do remember him talking about acrylic over enamel causing wrinkles. Back then you could cut enamel (for all-purpose use, not for an exceptional finish) with something as unrefined as gasoline, but acrylic had to have actual automotive paint thinner, which would cause the reaction to the enamel underneath

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Are you shooting rattle-can paint or automotive base/candy/clear ???
16 hours between coats and it was still "sticky"... something is wrong..
.. I recently had a paintjob "blow up" on me..long story short... the hardner for my primer had "expired" and WAY past it's shelf life and the binders broke down...
Either way.. it sucked..
Also note... as I was shooting the headlamp bucket for this bike, the plastic (yes 1970s plastic) bucket did NOT take well to today's chemicals... even wiping clean after sanding (laquer thinner) the plastic got SOFT!!
.. Solution, used a PPG sealer, then primer, blah, blah, blah..
Sealer worked great... and I'm STILL trying to get it out of my fingernails!!!
Matte clear is just basic clear with a flattening agent... if u are using the same "system / manufacture".. there shouldn't be an issue... but there is alway multiple factors when doing paint work ..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a rattle can job. Looking at the can again it does say 48 hours to fully cure, so I rushed it I think. I just got home and checked it again and the paint does seem less glossy now. My bad, Patience is one virtue I have never had. The good news is not much wrinkled so I think I can just sand those spots down and reprime, then repaint. I will give it more time this time around. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts