Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm sorry if this is a topic that already exists, I did some searching but can only find quite specific questions relating to paint and finishes.

I've just gotten my first project bike, a CB250T. I'm pretty new to tinkering with bikes, and since I do not yet have the bike and my tools in the same location I'm spending probably far too much time planning the project and not enough time doing. However, one of the things I obviously need to consider is where to spend money. It seems to me that most people doing bike renovations powder coat at least the frame and also ? engine parts?

I'm hoping to change the colourscheme of the bike to have a dark grey/black engine, grey/black exhaust, red frame and some sort of light coloured tank. That of course means changing the colour of almost every component - and so I reckon I might change my plans as the numbers add up...

So, my question is multi-pronged:
- Is powdercoating the frame a "must"?
- What about engine parts and exhaust? I've seen discussion about heat proof paint, but was told by a salesperson for aftermarket exhaust that this was insufficient for exhaust and that I would need to get it ?HPC coated or it would rust?
- How can I best prepare chromed surfaces for painting or coating?

Any advice pitched at absolute beginners appreciated.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Nothing is mandatory. ;)

Nothing is forbidden. :oops:

I would suggest you start by reviewing some of the project logs here. There are any number of ways to do a project and these are a great source of ideas and inspiration.

What you decide to do will of course be influenced by what you decide you want to end up with and how much you're willing to invest in time and resources, like money.

It would help if you would update your profile with your location (we have yet to encounter any stalkers here that I know of) and your signature with the year/model of your bike.

Folks here are both able and willing to provide information and assistance.

Oh yeah, WE LIKE PICTURES. :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Good advice from JT.

Everything mostly depends on your budget. In the US powder coating is pricey, but it is pretty cool.
Paint can be pretty easily done at home, you need a decent spray gun and air compressor. Most folks just rattlecan the color, then HVLP on some two-part clear.

Be advised that owning one of these old bikes is a lot like setting your hair on fire, and putting it out with a hammer.
It will test you sorely, probably be more of a money-pit and general PIB most of the time.
You probably will never feel safe on a long ride unless you take a bunch of tools with you.
Every new sound you hear will convince you the engine is going to explode shortly.

But when it all works, the coolness factor is very high.

I'll second the request to add your year/model/location to your Profile.
Maybe even your real name - some of us older folks here prefer real names.

·
Registered
659 Posts
1. Powder coat is at least twice as hard as paint; hence it's a good coat for the frame which is exposed to lots of tiny road bits. Powder coating in my area use to be cheaper than a pro paint job but it's getting pricer. Rattle can is very good these days, even the clear. Try PlastiKote (sp?) or Duplicolor. Of course it's an awful lot of work as prep is the most important part.

2. not sure about the exhaust paint question. I use high-temp engine paint on my 2-stroke expansion chamber.

3. Chrome is hard, sanding won't touch it. Check into an etching primer.

BTW...Duplicolor has a good site for learning some of this stuff. And do a search on painting techniques/processes. I hate painting !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be advised that owning one of these old bikes is a lot like setting your hair on fire, and putting it out with a hammer.
How come I always choose hobbies like that? Or do they choose me?

Thanks for the advice! I'll post piccies and start a project log when the project actually gets going.

Cheers
Thor

·
Registered
376 Posts
My father worked in the powder coating industry for a while. He provided me with some "insider" information:

Something to keep in mind about powder coating. Even AFTER the coating has been baked, the coating can bleed when washed at a (high pressure) car wash, especially metallic colors. This is why most powder coating shops will offer a clear coat over the baked powder coating. GET THE CLEAR COAT!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts