Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Great........only 79.95 for one 12 oz spray can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How big a kit would one typically need for a gas tank and 2 side covers?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I've had decent luck finding nice parts on eBay with the factory paint and sidestepping the outrageous cost of s new paint job. Of course, if you're trying to do a show-quality restoration, a nice used part with a small scratch or chip in the paint probably won't do...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I was not going to use the factory color since I am going to go with a hunter green color on my bike instead of the original royal blue. So hopefully I will not have to sell a kidney to have my bike painted. :-D

Reactions: dtsmjr8dan

·
Registered
122 Posts
How big a kit would one typically need for a gas tank and 2 side covers?
I will be using a VMR kit to paint a tank, headlight bucket, 2-side covers, 2-fork ears and covers and hopefully a small fairing. I got the largest kit so we'll see how far it goes. I'm dropping the parts off to the painter this week so I should be able to let you know. It took almost 3 weeks to get the paint and I only live 4 hours north of them, the only way I was able to get a response from them was through email. Great website though!!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Eventually when I get my CL350 re-painted I am painting everything from fenders to the side covers.

Here's a quick mock-up (I know - a 3YO with crayons could do a better job).

Honda-CL350-Left-Full-View.jpg

Reactions: I-Ride-A-ホンダ

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I wouldn't paint the fenders unless the chrome was shot...
Mine are really rough with dents and lots of pitting. If I didn't paint them I would have to buy new chrome ones. I don't believe that these could be saved for chrome. Thoughts?
WP_20160314_001.jpg

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Honestly I am looking at it from a future maintenance perspective. I don't have to polish a painted fender like a chrome one. Or maybe I'm just oversimplifying it and trying to save money (hopefully) by painting over the problem areas.

After looking at mine they are just rather dented in a few places and might be able to be hammered out and re-chromed.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Someone painted the front fender on mine (1982 CB450SC) to match the non-stock paint job. I was real pleased about it - less chrome to blind me from reflected sunlight and it seems to match. Honda even did the same thing on certain later years (year?) of this model.

I agree, it's non-stock. But if one is picking their own color, anyway...

<SHRUGS> It's definitely a case of "YMMV." If you are planning on keeping to motorcycle, do what seems best TO YOU. It won't affect performance/safety.

And, hey, most folks would probably agree that it's better to have a painted front fender... than no front fender ;) .

Here is a picture of mine:
00g0g_9BSTH0MHrD1_600x450.jpg

Here is someone else's (better picture and MUCH better-looking motorcycle):
1985 CB450SC Nighthawk1.JPG

1985 CB450SC Nighthawk4.JPG

1985 CB450SC Nighthawk5.JPG

And here is one with a chrome fender:
IMG_20141029_151502951.jpg

The images can be left-clicked to enlarge, then left-clicked again for full size.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Honestly I am looking at it from a future maintenance perspective. I don't have to polish a painted fender like a chrome one. Or maybe I'm just oversimplifying it and trying to save money (hopefully) by painting over the problem areas.

After looking at mine they are just rather dented in a few places and might be able to be hammered out and re-chromed.
You might be able to get most of the rust off with some Coca-Cola and aluminum foil, but the dents are problematic. Chroming is very expensive, too...probably cheaper to find better ones on eBay in that case. It's up to you, but if I were painting mine, I'd consider painting the fenders (and maybe side covers, too) dull silver like the old ones from the 60's.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
from the picture the chrome doesn't look to bad. I use wood bleach (oxalic acid) to get rust off of chrome pieces. search it on the internet, very impressive results. The dents might be able to be hammered out, soft hammer of course.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Automotive paints have shot up in cost over the last few years. Pretty much any system you chose is going to cost in the $200 range.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Has anyone found a good cross reference for paint codes? I'm trying to match the Tyrolean Green Metallic (359-20) from Honda but I can't seem to find either a PPG color or a Sherwin Williams code to use. Does anyone have a site or can someone look up the codes?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts