Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.
I am in the proccess of finishing of a new build 1971 450/500 race bike. I have been searching for the paint "codes" used on early Hondas race bikes the Red and silver colours. I am just in the process of mounting a full fairing on the bike and preparing it for painting, want to keep it in the old style and correct colour scheme Red bike/Silver Front fairing and yellow slash down side. Found a Graphic shop in the UK "Moonpie" that does the correct yellow slash. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Picture of finished bike.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Without redirecting an old thread; there are no colour codes only names. The candy colours were base coat then layers of the colour and it’s very difficult to replicate the exact original as too much colour will darken the paint and too little results in it being too light. The best painter to talk to is Menno Dek; he’s based in Europe but just look at his website to see the quality of his work. tanklackieren.de - Home.

Reactions: SurferD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SurferD : Have got as close as i can with the Red/Silver Works Race colours. This is what most of the Classic Honda Racers are using here in NZ.

The silver is (Spectrum Fan/Grey Mettalic 79089
The Red is (Milano Red/ Honda (Bright) R81

Have also found that in the UK they are using , Sword Silver Mettalic - Hon071 or Force Silver Mettalic - NH-411M one is slightly darker than the other.

Now into the paint Shop.
Rustys.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hi guys.
I am in the proccess of finishing of a new build 1971 450/500 race bike. I have been searching for the paint "codes" used on early Hondas race bikes the Red and silver colours. I am just in the process of mounting a full fairing on the bike and preparing it for painting, want to keep it in the old style and correct colour scheme Red bike/Silver Front fairing and yellow slash down side. Found a Graphic shop in the UK "Moonpie" that does the correct yellow slash.
Bike looks good. Curious as to what is done to your engine, and what size your Mikunis are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ancientdad :
Bike is now all finished and i have had it on the track for a play last week. Still need to dyno it to see where we are making the power, and conect up a shift light. All internal parts are from "Todd Hennings Racing" for a 500cc build, Megacyle cam, Wisco pistons 73.95, titanium valves, R/D heavy coil spring kit, 38ml Mikuni carbs, up graded oil pump, ignitech TCI-P4 ignition, with Nology coils. Compression is 180psi.
New YSS shocks on the rear with upgraded YSS internals in the front.
Front brakes need to be sorted yet, as iam not used to the old single pot brake. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Runs nicely and also handles nice, although i don't have much to compare it against at the moment, a race meeting will sort it out. I do defiantly need to sort out the gearing though, i'am running a 16/35 on at the moment revs out in top gear half way down our back straight.
Still a little bit of oil seepage from the cam ports that i have to sort out, and a few other small things that i need to adjust, i think it will be a lot of a fun bike to ride.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Engine

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Cheers Russ

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hi ancientdad :
Bike is now all finished and i have had it on the track for a play last week. Still need to dyno it to see where we are making the power, and conect up a shift light. All internal parts are from "Todd Hennings Racing" for a 500cc build, Megacyle cam, Wisco pistons 73.95, titanium valves, R/D heavy coil spring kit, 38ml Mikuni carbs, up graded oil pump, ignitech TCI-P4 ignition, with Nology coils. Compression is 180psi.
sorry, the title caused me to miss your reply. Curious which MegaCycle cams you're using - with coil spring conversion you could be running something significantly higher lift than those for torsion bars. If so, surprised your compression is that high... I'm running 36mm Mikunis and many here thought that was too big. Do you know the model number of the cams? What revs are you turning topped out down the back straight?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ancientdad.

Cam#120 x 11 (race profile)

I have not had it on the Dyno yet to find out max HP, so just settling motor in at the moment, and not busting boiler at this stage, it definitely needs the gearing looked at i would say , running 15T front and 35T rear at moment 8000rpm on back straight its running out of puff. This is all new to me as i have been racing inline fours for a number of years, and as i am getting a little older i just want a nice little Classic to finnish of my years of Racing. Raced a CB500 four at Phillip Island some years ago and it was a bit of fun. I have joined the Twins forum to gain a little help in this project which will be much appreciated.

Cheers Russ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts