Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've painted a fair bit of things the past few years with no major issues but running into something now thats confusing me.

The side panels on my KZ have recessed sections for "KZ650" emblems to sit in. My panels were missing these emblems so I decided to smooth them over with body filler. This was a few years ago and it all went well, smoothed over and painted, couldn't tell anything was ever there. The following year though, the bodyfiller on the right side panel start to swell or raise, you could clearly see where the recess was filled over. So I sanded it down again and painted, all was well for a while but it then happened again.

Left it like that all last year, but decided to try and fix it again this past week, smoothed it out again and primed. Looked good until I applied the paint. The paint over the area with the body filler took forever to dry and checking this morning you can once again see where the body filler is.

Getting frustrating now, am I going to have to strip it totally down and remove all the body filler? Is there some kind of reaction happening here? Just don't understand how the left side panel has never had this issue. I originally did them at the same time with the same materials.

Any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I've painted a fair bit of things the past few years with no major issues but running into something now thats confusing me.

The side panels on my KZ have recessed sections for "KZ650" emblems to sit in. My panels were missing these emblems so I decided to smooth them over with body filler. This was a few years ago and it all went well, smoothed over and painted, couldn't tell anything was ever there. The following year though, the bodyfiller on the right side panel start to swell or raise, you could clearly see where the recess was filled over. So I sanded it down again and painted, all was well for a while but it then happened again.

Left it like that all last year, but decided to try and fix it again this past week, smoothed it out again and primed. Looked good until I applied the paint. The paint over the area with the body filler took forever to dry and checking this morning you can once again see where the body filler is.

Getting frustrating now, am I going to have to strip it totally down and remove all the body filler? Is there some kind of reaction happening here? Just don't understand how the left side panel has never had this issue. I originally did them at the same time with the same materials.

Any ideas?
Sorry, but, strip down to the bare metal etch prime and re-bog, prime and paint, sounds like the bog is full of water/oil/pigeon crap/tourist etc and nothing you do, apart from rip it out, will fix it. :?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
It sounds to me like you might not have had the proper mixture of catalyst and filler on the initial batch.

I agree, I think you're going to have to strip it and start over. If it were me, I'd get some expoy resin and mix up a batch of micro balloons (glass beads) and make a thick slurryabout the consistency of peanut butter to use as you would bondo. Actually, there are several other ways to build that up including several layers of glass cut the same size as the opening then built up to fill the void.

I hate doing fiberglass myself but there are time when it's a good system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I sort of assumed this was going to be the answer, but was secretly hoping it could be something else. Not looking forward to removing the bodyfiller since this panel is plastic. I had some paint issues with the 400 when I sanded through to the plastic, adhesion nightmares :( Hopefully I can get this done with minimal issues.

Mike you may be right about the mixture ratio but I did both panels originally at the same time and no issues at all with the left one. When I made the seat for the KZ I used a combination of body filler and fiberglass resin (called a milkshake) as a final coat that worked really good.

Thanks again.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top