Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep running into this....in parts manuals, for the same part, I see multiple entries with different P/N's...see example below.

Can someone explain why there are three different P/N's for the same part, and which one does one go by ???

Also, the reason I give this particular, anyone have a recommendation on where/what/how to buy the necessary gaskets & seals required when rebuilding a CB450-4 speed-Black Bomber.

I need all the help I can get !!!

SKU: 12251-283-010
GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD (Honda Code 0074740)

SKU: 12251-283-020
GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD (Honda Code 0312538)

SKU: 12251-283-306
GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD (Honda Code 4434866)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
This has been posted before - most gaskets for the 4-speed are the same as for 5-speeds.
The exception is the right side crankcase cover, due to the absence of knock pins on the 4-speed cover (I think) - but some quick work with a hole punch could remedy that.
The counter sprocket cover has a different hole pattern on the 4-speed, but there's no gasket there anyway.

The different part numbers you mentioned are typical with Honda, as parts get superseded.

But don't take my word for it (I never take anyone's word for anything, except maybe for what Steve says) - use the reverse parts finder feature at CrotchRocket, you'll see for yourself that the gaskets for a 5-speed are all (except for the one mentioned above) 283 numbers, which is the 4-speed code...... http://www.crotchrocket.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx
This is a valuable tool for us - bookmark it !!!

And many of the seals involved are shared not only with the 5-speeds, but other models as well.
So don't panic....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The first five digits are the specific part.... The middle three indicate the bike that the part was FIRST used on, it may be an "original" part for other and later models... The last three indicate supercedes, different supplier/manufacturer, or both.....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.....Yes...I probably asked something like this in the past; something to do with a specific part I think.

Anyway...thX for the trouble.....it's tough getting old !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts