Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired (delivered today!) a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 450SC. While the original tool kit was intact in the original kit bag in the storage area behind the seat, there was no owner's manual. I am a newbie and this is my first bike, and it was this amazing folks in this forum that convinced me that this would be a great bike to start with!

Is there an owner's manual for the 1985 version floating around in this forum?

I thought there were some variations between the 1982-1984 versions and the 1985 and the 1986 version, especially linked to the vacuum feeding versus gravity of fuel and the PCV stuff in the 1985-1986 version. Would love to learn more about the bike from the owner's manual.
Is there any way someone in the forum might have a copy scanned for me to look at?

I will soon post some pics of the bike soon. Looks in decent shape and it ran quite well. There was a minor oil leak around oil filter screw which I think may be the gasket or the o-ring. I plan to change the oil in it first, and then make sure the battery is charged, and go through the items in the checklist I have seen in this forum.

Is Honda GN4 oil with the OEM Honda filter kit (from Amazon) a good fail-safe option for a first time oil change?

Thanks!
Sam

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Not sure that owners manual is in the library but you can look, might download the FSM while your there. PM sent
The Honda oil and filter will be fine. You use 10-40w JASO MA rated oil. I use WIX filters, #24939, and Castrol 4T oil. There are really cheap filters available that don't have the O-rings for the bolt and housing like Hi-Flo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LDR for your reply.
When you say PM sent, what exactly does that stand for : Personal message? Didn't see any message on my main folder.
Sorry - new to the forum and still learning.

Sam

Not sure that owners manual is in the library but you can look, might download the FSM while your there. PM sent
The Honda oil and filter will be fine. You use 10-40w JASO MA rated oil. I use WIX filters, #24939, and Castrol 4T oil. There are really cheap filters available that don't have the O-rings for the bolt and housing like Hi-Flo

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
PM= Private message. Click "Private Message" below the HondaTwins banner at the top of the home page.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LDR: Thanks a ton! There is a wealth of information there and the quality of the scans was superior to any I have seen elsewhere. While there was not a specific manual for the 1985 450SC, I think the 1986 one and the other ones close to the 450SC could also help me.

Sam

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
For the SC's both FSM's are worth having. I did a rear wheel on an 83 and the 82-85 FSM was wrong but the 1986 FSM was correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts