Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wrenching a kawa KX250 motor destined for an ice racer. I need to push the crankshaft out of the right engine case side but I dont see mounting holes for the crank tool! anyone out there have KX engine experience? contact me please, danWI

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
So the crank is basically stuck in the bearing and the bearing in the right side case then?? Mine always slipped apart easily then after heating the case lightly, the bearing just came right out with light tapping. I've never worked on a 250 that old though. I have worked on an 87 model but it was a KX80/100..

Wait, I must be getting old. I do remember having to heat the bearing to get it off the crank once.. But it slid out of the case easily, so that doesn't help you.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt get a chance to try alil heat last night.. will try tonight. I'm glad to hear there isnt a retainer or something! I am having a difficult time removing the dern drive gear since some fool mushroomed the end of the crank with a few hard blows. i'm hoping some well placed filing will do the trick. i'm remaining calm thanks to my daily mantra "its only a 2-stroke.... oommmmmmm.... its only a 2-stroke" :)

thanks for the input GB

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
From what I remember the bearing fit the cases very tightly, and the crank should just slide out of it with a couple raps with a deadblow hammer.. Although sometimes the bearings get heat seized to the crank. It makes for a difficult time when taking it all apart.. After your filing job, try a lil heat and report back if you can find the time. I'm curious to hear your results..

Also, I don't know the extent of your rebuild but pay special attention to the cylinders Nikasil plating. If it's worn either get it replated or have a new sleeve installed, a cast iron one, that can be bored multiple times..

See here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archiv ... 42492.html

If you're not a member of Thumpertalk already then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you join up there! LOADS of information about all makes and models of offroad bikes and motards over there.. ;) Just search there under the Kawasaki section for "crank bearing stuck" or similar.. :D

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heat NO-GO! the dern crank is stuck left side. we're abandoning the KX engine for another... the ice is just TOO good right now to be messing with a mystery engine. the plowboys are laying out a road track this weekend... that means left and right turns

WHOOOO :eek: HOOOOOO :shock: OUCH! :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts