Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Restoring a 1968 CL350K0 with 950 miles. For resale purposes which is preferred electronic or original points system

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Speaking of points, I just bought a spare set on eBay for my '69 350. I hear the aftermarket ones on the market aren't that great (sloppy manufacturing tolerances), and the OEM supply is drying up.

OEM points.jpg

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I feel electronics are overrated on bikes originally designed for points but you'll have a tough time selling this to the newer generation. Even the points 83xlx posted above were likely made in the last ten years, approved by Honda,(hence the packaging), and probably are not the quality of ones made in the "period". It seems they do bed in after a bit, and that's why rechecking them a few times with a strobe till your satisfied is a good idea. Original patina always wins, but at the modest values of these bikes it's more of finding the right buyer to get max dollar. Good running definatly helps.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you're going to re-sell the bike, points are the smartest choice - unless you plan to sell it to an out of town buyer, because I'd guess there's close to a 25% chance (and maybe more, just taking a low estimate) that the buyer might have trouble with the electronic ignition you choose and it's a guarantee that the points on the bike you sell will last more than long enough to get the new owner to tune-up time and still will not have left him on the side of the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Personally I don’t want electronic ignition in my next CAR never mind a bike.
And no way I would replace points with electronics in a bike.
I think that is probably the most common opinion around here.
I am not so sure it is the most common opinion around the US though.

It also seems to me that restores or close to it are preferred around here yet most of the bikes I see for sale are bobbed or cafed.
(Side note- One of the reasons I like this place is that folks talk nice to those bobbing a bike when they would rather see a resto;) )

But back to the question: if it is running well with points and a buyer wants electronics they can do it easy enough and cheap enough.
You try to sell it to ME after you spent 2 bills on a Pamco or something and I will take 3 bills off the price. $400 if you don’t still have the originals.
I ‘d say the safer bet isstick with points.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...One of the reasons I like this place is that folks talk nice to those bobbing a bike when they would rather see a resto
well, I try to... but I suppose I have little room to talk based on what I did, but at least it was to replicate a past bike and not follow a trend

You try to sell it to ME after you spent 2 bills on a Pamco or something and I will take 3 bills off the price. $400 if you don’t still have the originals.
I like that thinking!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You will never get your money back from the electronic ignition when selling the bike. It will not add anything to the price. It will sell for the same price with or without it, at best.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
...Even the points 83xlx posted above were likely made in the last ten years, approved by Honda,(hence the packaging), and probably are not the quality of ones made in the "period"...
Oh yeah, I know they are newer production because they have the UPC codes on them. My hope is that since Honda branded them, they were manufactured to a higher standard than most of the aftermarket ones for sale today.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
There is as we can see a wide variety of mixed opinions on the Electronic Ignition Systems Vs Points.

While I see the concern and the issue that points are simple and can often be patched up roadside, there is something to be said about set it and forget it.

A well engineered system is super reliable.
It is just a matter of waving a Magnet past a Pickup Coil to create an Impulse that causes a Transister (which is just a switch) to change Status (from Charging the Coils to removing the Charge causing the field to collaspe) and Trigger the coils to fire.

I'm not a fan of the PAMCO.
While it gets a lot of press on this site both good & bad.
The electronics seem delicate to me and the exposed components look like they are just asking for problems.
Like adjusting the Timing by bending the legs of the Pickup. (Scary)
And YES I do own one but it is NOT on either of my bikes.

The Charles Place system is a very different story.
It doesn't get the same prress on the forum, but I think that may be a good thing. (no one talking bad about it)
It's components are NOT an exposed board.
They are Sealed Pickup Sensors mounted to a base plate.
The Replacement Trigger Cam is a machined part with an embedded magnet that won't come loose like the early pamco's.
The Pickups are individually adjustable for Timing with slots for each pickup coil on the base plate.

It is VERY Similar to a system I have on a 1948 Buick Super.
In that system a Single Pickup coil replaces the Points and there is a CAP that fits over the OEM Cam in the Distributor with the Magnetic Triggers.
It is SUPER reliable.
Much more so than Points and is extermely popular amoung antique cars restores.

Now that said IF you are doing a CONCURS Restoration you MUST use Points or you lose POINTS (yes PUN intended).
But for everyday reliability I'm all in for the EI, and have it on Both my 350's.

If you are thinking EI, then research the Charles Place System.
I'm not going to try and convience you do your own research.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Charlies has certainly been a fit and forget system on my CL175, no problems in just over 4000 miles now, once I'd installed it correctly.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Recently got a CB450, was pretty sure I was gonna convert to EI but after having problems with the aftermarket EI I installed on my CX500 and having no real idea how to diagnose it or fix it I'm sticking with the points in the 450.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you're reselling....use points!
I have EI in my 450 but have used points in both my Z900's with zero problems. One thing with points is you can always fiddle and get yourself home if things go sour..EI goes south and it's goodnight ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Elec igns dont like heat..dont like extended rides and generally fail dramatically with a sub par charging system. If you're really unlucky they take the engine with them.

Points will always get you home. Maintain them CORRECTLY and they require minimal tinkering.
Replace the condensers as a matter of course with a quality unit..not a knock off and use the stock points if they are still intact

I have helped many friends load up their bikes when out on a ride because the elec igns failed.

IMO Dyna systems are the best BUT they have a 4 amp draw...be ready to replace your charging system to keep up.

My experience..Moto Mechanic since 99.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts