Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put this in the headlight of my '07 Honda Nighthawk CB250 (Christmas present :-D). It's a tight fit in the headlight assembly, it'd be easier to fit if the connectors were shorter, which they could be I think, but it does fit. I wasn't blown away when I first tried it so I took some pictures to compare with the previous halogen bulb (see below), and yes it's definitely brighter - you notice when you go back to the halogen.

The beam is not as uniform as the halogen, it looks a bit funny at first, might be the optics that are not designed for an LED bulb like someone else mentioned in an earlier discussion. However, it does cover more area than the halogen, you see better on the sides (that part doesn't show super well on the pictures), and it's still brighter than the halogen even though it's spread over more surface. Road signs also pop out a LOT more as well as the markings on the road.

The low beam definitely shines further than the stock halogen. Same for the high beam really, I think the pictures clearly show that the LED is better. But the difference between the low and high beam on the LED is kind of interesting: it doesn't actually give the impression that it shines further when you switch from low to high (although when you look at the picture it does), like it does on the halogen, rather it seems brighter and fuller. It's hard to describe...

Anyway, in the end it's an improvement over the halogen. It's not an "OMG" moment (it won't melt deer away before you run into them :-D), it didn't blow me away like I somehow thought it would, the high beam especially is a little disappointing to me because it is bright, yes, but it doesn't reach as far as I thought it would, however it definitely is an improvement over the halogen bulb (and it uses ~30% less power I think). I think an entire replacement headlight assembly specifically designed for LEDs would obviously be a much more marked improvement. However this was < $50 and an entire LED headlight assembly would be at least $100-$120 I think, minimum (right?), so obviously depending on the budget this might suit some people better... I'm pretty happy with it!

Low beam (halogen left, LED right):
Low Beam - Halogen (3711).jpg Low Beam - LED (3711).jpg
High beam (halogen left, LED right):
High Beam - Halogen (3711).jpg High beam - LED (3711).jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks like the LED low beam projects light a lot further than the Halogen low beam. Perhaps that's why it seems like the high beam doesn't shine farther, because the low beam output is already that much farther than the halogen? I don't know, just a thought. It definitely seems from the pics like you have a lot more useable light output with the LED though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I replaced the stock bulb in my 84 GL1200 Gold Wing with an LED. What a difference. I wouldn't ride the wing at night because the headlight was so bad.

I know I'm sold on LED's for my cruisers.

Bud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts