Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was given a '78 cm185t that I got running again thanks to the help of everyone on here. Like I'd been told, I'm ready to move on to a bigger bike and wanted to do a brat/scrambler type build (if anyone wants to buy a clean title '78 cm185t lemme know lol). I found a craigslist add near me for an '80 cm400t that interested me. I contacted the seller and he said the bike was running prior to being stripped for paint. Says engine and carbs have been installed and now it just needs the headlight/handlebars tightened down (loosely on there now), the seat put on (don't think the seat in the picture will fit), and the wiring harness installed. I've never messed with a wiring harness before, so my question is how much of a hassle is that going to be, and does the forum think this would be a good project to pickup? Was asking $900, talked him down to $750 even though I'd still like to get it for a little less. Guy claims to have a clean title for it. Thanks for your input.

https://sanangelo.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1980-honda-cm400t/6253116597.html

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Who posted the 79 in the last picture? I think $750 is too much IMHO. For comparison, I just paid $250 (CDN) for another 'ran before taken apart' 1980 Cm 400T. However the one I got had the wrong tank with it and the rear frame wasn't butchered like that one. Other than that, mine was complete with ownership (title in Canada).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who posted the 79 in the last picture? I think $750 is too much IMHO. For comparison, I just paid $250 (CDN) for another 'ran before taken apart' 1980 Cm 400T. However the one I got had the wrong tank with it and the rear frame wasn't butchered like that one. Other than that, mine was complete with ownership (title in Canada).
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the guy posted the '79 as the "inspiration" for the paint scheme on his bike. I noticed the rear frame didnt have the "hump" in it that these bikes came from the factory with. If it was done correctly and I can get a flat brat style seat on it then awesome, but it couldve just as easily been done horribly and I can't tell. How hard do you think it would be for a newbie to run the wiring harness on this thing? It makes me wonder what else is missing from the bike. The guy told me it does have exhaust pipes and he put them on last night, but said he does not have the speedo/tach. How hard would it be to wire up a generic speedo/tac to the factory harness/sensors?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Things keep coming up as needing replaced/needing repair. Up to you, but , around here for that kind of money I can buy a running , complete, titled, cosmetically nice to look at. You can do whatever you like with it. We will be here to help, but , I keep hearing $$$ the more of the story is revealed.

Reactions: Brent

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm with Dan.

My viewpoint, buying anything mechanical, is based on what it actually is now. It may have run great but you have no proof. Right now it is some parts and a hacked frame with a title, nothing more.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
IMHO, that's a wise choice.

Reactions: J-T
1 - 7 of 7 Posts