Honda Twins banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm signed in and I'm getting the in between posts ads.
Yea, it's too much. I hate to complain about this kind of thing, I understand the economics but you'd think the big ass banners all over would be enough (and I feel sure it actually is) but all we can do is see how it all shakes out. TV is the same, more commercial ad time during programs than actual program time. My time is more valuable than that and I'm about two programs away from pulling the plug on tv. It's all propaganda programming anyway. I love this forum though, seems this is happening across some of the other forums I frequent but this one is surely in the top offenders list now.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I just scrolled through all 4 pages of this thread and did not encounter a single ad. Is it because I’m what is now called a “premium member” which is the new term for the old “supporting member”?

·
Registered
284 Posts
😅😅😅 Dammit, I can't find where to contribute. Even checked my account settings etc... Somebody throw me a bone...

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I'll bet that's it. And I don't mind paying up to support this forum and I think I'll do that now! :)
I think that’s the unfortunate part of this. For a long time there has been no way to contribute. There should be a way to get the content ad free, but I’m afraid when they do again institute a way to do that it won’t be as simple and easy as it once was. Years ago it was give what you could, I doubt it’s going to be that equitable this time around. So now you are stuck dealing with ads and no way around it, and THAT SUCKS!!!

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
read some of these messages. I believe this site will eventually die. such a same. maybe someone can start a new one and the members will move there.

That's exactly how we started this place some years ago - we were all refugees from another site that shut down - a handful of us to begin.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's exactly how we started this place some years ago - we were all refugees from another site that shut down - a handful of us to begin.
I REALLY hope that the knowledgeable long time members will remain so that it doesn't have to happen again! I completely agree to Steve's complaining about the loss of feel but I guess that's where we are right now. I also don't like some of the new stuff but I'm trying to ignore it as good as I can. The point is that companies like Verticalscope can't have an interest in individually designed websites that operate differently. They just have a different interest than our and many other communities. Sad but true...

So some childish new features of this website are certainly not tailored to the needs of a community that is passionate about vintage technology. Why are some threads recommended? Because they are about vintage Hondas as well? Come on... I could read almost everything here anyway...

Camourflage ads within the threads? Please don't tell me that this is promoting sales anywhere...

But the best new feature is the Reaction Score and Points in the profile section. Pardon me if I may sound naive, but in what kind of dystopia do we live to have our social interactions evaluated by a company??? Well, as I've said already; I guess that's where we are now...

So, enough said. Back to ignoring reality... :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
...what kind of dystopia do we live to have our social interactions evaluated by a company???

So, enough said. Back to ignoring reality... :)

Pretty much. :oops:

Except for the extremely rare live-broadcast motorcycle race (four I think) I haven't watched TV for 6 or 8 years now. I scan several new sites and only read what I want to. I stay informed but without buying into the hype and outrage. I've gone from a dozen or so various forums to... this one, and I don't come here much these days.

I DO come here because even when something has been contentious, it's still been friendly. When I need a break from something else I know I can pop in here and whether I have anything relevant to contribute or not, nobody is going to be screaming at anyone else... I suppose that's "SCREAMING!!!!" :whistle:
Anyway, I know it's the same people. I know this is just like moving the shop to another building in another neighborhood, but, well, that's squashed a business or two as well. I think we'll survive it as long as a few key individuals adapt. Most of us know who they are and this site is no different from a random google hit without them. To whoever is in change, ask THOSE guys what THEY want! ;) You fail to keep them happy and active and your ad offers are going to drop along with your hit counter.

I was in a classroom with a woman several years ago who was a "data migration manager." I asked her if the datas migrate seasonally and it broke the ice. Interesting woman. I downloaded a bootleg FSM for her Bonneville for her and she was happy. The point being, anyone who does that, successfully, has my admiration. No wonder she liked commuting on her Triumph. My hat's off to whoever moved this site in what? 24 hours? There's gonna be some bumps and quirks. Only time will tell I guess but someone is paying for it. Ultimately, it'll be up to them, we're just guests. Best not to get to uppity about a free lunch I suppose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
752 Posts
So, uh, here I go double posting again but I just found this after a little looking.

I'm sorry. I should have explained that better.

Anyone who was already a premium (paid) member will continue to have the premium status.

At the moment, there isn't an option to become a premium member if you aren't already. That options should be returning soon.

- Cricket

So, that was a month ago. Any new ETA on how "soon" that's going to be an option? :cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So, that was a month ago. Any new ETA on how "soon" that's going to be an option? :cool:
If it's as fast as the final few revisions we've been asking for... you might get to Mars before it happens

·
Registered
752 Posts
If it's as fast as the final few revisions we've been asking for... you might get to Mars before it happens
:(

And I suppose they already took an angle grinder to the old site to create this cafebobbertrackerchopper. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
:(
And I suppose they already took an angle grinder to the old site to create this cafebobbertrackerchopper. :confused:
Sure... because those things are trending... :ROFLMAO::LOL: but if you want to see a few snippets of HT from "back in the day" (such as that is for the internet, meaning 5 to 10 years ago), go to the internetwaybackmachine and search for HT

·
Super Moderator
22,719 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep - pretty cool... glad the logo changed. Not that I don't like the one above, but I really like the most recent one better. And then there's this
View attachment 303156

I don't remember any username "Alexa!" Billy Joel? Is that you? "I'm on the downeaster Alexa..."

Eh, nevermind. Probably just one of those toaster-like gizmos to make everyone's life easier. "Alexa, set my timing!" Worthless technology. :(

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Wow, that was really at the beginning. Long time since we recognized Homer Award winners!
In the spirit of community I think it would be great to bring back the Homer Award. I know there are many occasions where I would be a likely candidate to receive it! 😂

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I've thought about it myself off and on since being here and learning about it. Seems a long time ago it stopped for whatever reason. I wonder how the modern crowd would respond to it... I know I could have easily won the month a couple years ago with my oil filter valve mis-assembly - doh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
In the spirit of community I think it would be great to bring back the Homer Award. I know there are many occasions where I would be a likely candidate to receive it! 😂

Here's the original Homer Award.....given for extreme stoopidity.
I won it more than once, Steve is also a multiple winner.
Not sure it's a good idea for this place nowadays, it's sure to trigger a millennial. Originally it was all in good fun, now someone is sure to be offended.

homey.jpg

61 - 80 of 101 Posts