Honda Twins banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Sensei
26,300 Posts
All forums are going to this setup, it seems.

So, get used to it, or else.

I prefer the "get used to it".....these sites are great, have lots of knowledge, and has helped in ways that are far more than words can explain.

So, if old timers are offended, it shouldn't be the first time, right.......??????

Love these sites and, would hate to see them go away.
I CAN get used to the technical changes (eventually)...... I CAN'T get used to the amazingly swift LOSS of the feeling of OUR community...Somehow, we are now, and instantaneously "just another cloned motorcycle group" instead of "the BEST motorcycle group on the 'net....
Whatever the knowledge that has already been imparted will remain, but the site now "feels" as if it has now become simply a library where that information is stored (which is all well and good), whereas it USED to "feel" like a high-school shop class where you could interact one on one with the teacher who would show and guide you as well as explain how to accomplish your particular individual project goals.....
So when (and it will occur) we "old-timers" become offended and abandon this site, you will be left with the school-book, but no teachers to explain the chapters or paragraphs you don't quite understand.....The knowledge will still be there, but the comprehension/understanding of how to use that information may have vanished along with those offended members.......
No, it isn't the first time we have been offended, but we CAN make sure it's the last time we are offended HERE....

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This is interesting. I must say I did appreciate the cozier forum as Steve mentions above. I also remember when we lost sprint66 and that definitely was a sad chapter. I do appreciate all the folks who consistently contribute. I don't have (and doubt I ever will) the knowledge, experience, or perspective of the active members, and unfortunately don't have recommendations on what we can do to make sure they stay (that includes ancientdad, too, who I am grateful for his participation).

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
"Lost Sprint66"? (66Sprint) That was his post right above yours. I sure do hope you're not a fortune teller!
Nah, I think he means when Steve was off the forum for a while with his back trouble

·
Registered
150 Posts
Been checking into this VerticalScope Inc. Sounds like a terrible outfit. Found this example and other disturbing info on the company.

hey guys. i was just researching VS and came across this thread. so, i my experience can be of any help to others, i am gonna pas the word the best i can.

recently 2 forums that i help operate were bought by verticalscope. once they accuired the forum, they completely spammed the site with google ads, gave all site sponsors a 300% increase in their rates, and even began charging long time members to be able to view the areas that were once free for them to see.

if you truly care about the community that you have spent years working on, you will not sell out to VS. they are only there for the money and dont care about any part of their member base besides their wallet. the sites that i am talking about are www.gixxer.com and www.gsxr.com they are cornering the market on all motorcycle forums and are even going as far as sending threatening letters to any offspring sites that want to remain free. they are threatening legal action because they now "own" copyright on everything as small as similar colors beign used. example, the suxuki GSX-R has a distinct logo on the side of the bike. www.gixxer.com has that R in its site logo. now any other gsxr related site who displays the same suzuki logo has received a threatening letter from ther lawyer to remove the site and or logo.

please dont sell out to VS, no matter how much they offer you to do so.

If you care about your community do not even think about selling it. I was a member of a very tight knit community and within 6 months of the new ownership members had dwindled to nearly nothing and contact with VS was nonexistent. If it is payday for all your work and you are ready to move on and not watch the demolition begin then by all means sell.

My community is a wasteland thanks to VS.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I hear you brother, but I'm afraid it's been a little too late for a while now... VS has owned the site for a few years as I understand it, but we only went through the format change in December. We're adjusting, but the last few little items that need to be addressed are taking far longer than it should as we wonder if we've been forgotten at this point.

·
Registered
150 Posts
read some of these messages. I believe this site will eventually die. such a same. maybe someone can start a new one and the members will move there.

·
Super Moderator
9,689 Posts
Don't know how anyone with both the expertise and the desire could migrate the core community to a new forum. All the archived information would still be here anyway. I can see the institution of a pay-to-play format doing some damage and that appears to be where we're going. .We've been "upgraded" before, this time it's different.

Seems we're showing up around the net:

Don't know just who started this, been a while since I've seen those stickers.

Not surprising since we apparently generate revenues of $15 per day!

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Interesting finds there... I never thought to do a search for HT to see what came up. I think the FB entry is old, the only posts visible (if you're not a friends of them) is the 2013 post about the stickers (and I logged in using my Dad's still-active account). Not much revenue per day for sure... and the post on Ram1500 site could have been a glitch based on the same platform/server relationship - or it could have been an attempt to spread the name HT across a few more members elsewhere to attract some new traffic here.

·
Registered
752 Posts
...All anybody seems to want these days, is an inexpensive, easy, "quick-and-dirty" fix that enables them to ride....They don't seem to want to understand the Why? and How? it works...Just that it does work....
It's Oddball's fault Steve. 😉

·
Registered
752 Posts
Okay, so officially, and for the record while reading through this thread I encountered something I definitely do not like. I'm just reading along, line by line and...

Ditch disposable plastic bags for a reusable, multi-purpose silicone stasher!

Same font same everything just like it's the next post in the thread. :oops:
Caught me totally off guard and I'm wondering what the devil is a multi-purpose silicone stasher and why does my motorcycle need one. I'm still wondering what one is, but at least I figured out it was some cheesy ad instead of a forum member from CO, IL, or Canada making recreational substance storage suggestions. :whistle: Banners, sidebar ads, all that I can put up with. I know the whole place only exists because of $$. An inescapable (and perfectly acceptable) fact of life today, but this seeming insertion of advertising material among the site material is a bit over the top. Even when Hoss did Chevrolet ads on his horse wearing his Bonanza costume, you KNEW it was an ad instead of him just strolling up to someone in Virginia City and giving a sales pitch then continuing with the Bonanza dialog. 🤠

That said. Whoever does write this stuff may want to give more thought to content. I STILL don't know what a multi-purpose silicone stasher is, so why would I buy one because I thought someone explaining motorcycle maintenance had suggested it? :cool: ...and it has been quite difficult to write all that without swearing!

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Okay, so officially, and for the record while reading through this thread I encountered something I definitely do not like. I'm just reading along, line by line and...

Ditch disposable plastic bags for a reusable, multi-purpose silicone stasher!
I just re-read every post from the beginning and I can't find what you showed above... is it possible it was an ad that had a plain white background and was in between posts? It's not there on my view of this thread (yeah, I called it a thread and not a Discussion) but I also use an ad blocker :eek: (maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: )

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just re-read every post from the beginning and I can't find what you showed above... is it possible it was an ad that had a plain white background and was in between posts? It's not there on my view of this thread (yeah, I called it a thread and not a Discussion) but I also use an ad blocker :eek: (maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: )

Okay, I don't understand this stuff. Primarily because (like Oddball) I simply choose not to, but I went back through looking for it to. AND FOUND IT. Then before I could snatch a screenshot POOF! It's gone. o_O

I did catch this one though. Sure if you sit back and look at the whole page it's obvious it's an ad inserted between posts, but as you're reading through the posts without paying attention to who's saying what... not so much. No big deal. As stated, I know you have to pay the bills or none of us would be here. I'm cool with that. It's just that when I pay for a membership to a site it's usually so I don't have to deal with that sort of thing. ...I do pay for this one don't I? :unsure: If not, then take my criticism for exactly what it's worth! ;)

Okay, so the site obviously didn't like the 1st example I posted but here's another that popped in between my post and yours!

Do these things come and go randomly? ...like UFO's :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yep, I obviously see that one... (the Toyota thing on the left gives it away :rolleyes: )
If you're paying for this site, you must have started doing it some time back because I joined in late 2016 and have never paid for it and have never been asked to

·
Super Moderator
9,689 Posts
Some of us donated to help Jason pay the bills back in the beginning. Didn't amount to much but we got the title "supporting member" under our avatar. Don't know what's coming around the bend.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
My experience is you get those ads between posts if you are not signed in. On the old format you had to make a selection to stay signed in or it would automatically sign you out after so much time or inactivity. Could that be your problem oupa?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts