Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically - how do our long-standing/older members feel about the "new" HT? Are you more, or less, inclined to participate regularly? Now that we've had about 5 weeks to get used to it (still-awaited finishing touches like the banner images notwithstanding), how do you feel about it, and why?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I'm not a big fan of change, but as I've gotten used to the new format, it's fine. I still peruse it and participate when I have something useful to say, so no change there.

·
Super Moderator
22,760 Posts
I like that the search function actually seems to work again.
I don't care for re-labeling PM's to "conversations",

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Attaching pics to a thread is soooooo much easier!
Agreed, that is one of the best improvements IMO - and, the pictures come out zoomable even if they're smaller than usual

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I don't know that I'm a senior member by any means but it seems to me that on the devices and software that are current, the functionality of the new forum software is more than adequate to share and receive the collective experience that I participate in web forums for.

All thanks to the Admins, but please give care to the short punch list of items that we have identified.
Thanks.
Alan

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
It has taken a little getting used to but now I like the new format and feel comfortable with it. I agree with others that the search feature is much improved and the posting of pictures is seamless no matter what device is being used.
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like there is less activity now with regard to things like project logs and troubleshooting posts for specific bikes. There is always the ebb and flow of members on here but it also seems there are many old, familiar names that don’t show up anymore. I’ve wondered if it was the format change, just natural attrition, or something else?

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hated it at first and after getting used to it I still hate it! And to top it off out of three bikes on the header only one is a twin which is just ridiculous.
Agreed, and we're still in discussions with the Admins about it - despite the change being promised over 2 weeks ago, today they spoke as if we didn't supply them with any usable images and asked again for pictures they could use... despite so many of us reiterating that the old banner image was just fine, if not perfect, for our purposes

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I do not like it! It is hard to navigate, and looks "busy". I do not participate near as much as I used to. However, I do love the two CB 750's on the nanner.
TOOLS

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do not like it! It is hard to navigate, and looks "busy". I do not participate near as much as I used to. However, I do love the two CB 750's on the nanner.
TOOLS
I like the 750s too, but unfortunately they don't represent what the site is all about... I found it a little hard to navigate originally myself, but I've found that if you just use the "New" button, once all the new posts are gone you can click the "Popular" link across the top of the new posts area to look back on all the recent posts that have already been read to catch up on something you either missed or want to comment on further. There's also the "Forums" button between the New button and your profile avatar to get to all the categories

·
Registered
752 Posts
100% honesty. I haven't read any prior posts so I don't know if I might repeat something...

It's fine. It requires some getting used to, but not terribly difficult. I'm knee deep into a research project just now and simply don't have time to learn a new site. Consequently, while I try to pop in regularly and see what's up, those visits are typically much more brief than before - even considering the other work I'm doing.

One thing I find annoying is when returning to the new posts/forum list from reading a post, that small preview window pops into view. It's a preview of the post I JUST read! And it's blocking those I'm perusing to see if there are any more I wanna read. Not a big deal. One click & it's gone. Just a PIA.

Over all though, the site is fine. Navigation is easy. It's simply "different" and of course people drawn to old stuff typically don't embrace new stuff so eagerly. Maybe I'll hang around more when things slow down but I'm not seeing that happening for months. Two year project with a nine month deadline. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I am not a fan of the update for no other reason than it's different.
I haven't tried searching or posting photos, but I thought the older layout was fine. I am not on any other websites or social media and don't text or blog or whatever people do these days, so can't confirm if the the site update works towards people farmiliar with all that stuff.
One thing I did notice when we transitioned that I hadn't noticed before was you became a moderator, which is awesome.

Edit: I'm neither here nor there with the banner. Can it just be images of members bikes and change it out like every month or quarter?

Edit.2: I don't feel the need to participate as much since you and Steve have it mostly covered, and other members seem quite active, too.

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not a fan of the update for no other reason than it's different.
I haven't tried searching or posting photos, but I thought the older layout was fine. I am not on any other websites or social media and don't text or blog or whatever people do these days, so can't confirm if the the site update works towards people farmiliar with all that stuff.
One thing I did notice when we transitioned that I hadn't noticed before was you became a moderator, which is awesome.

Edit: I'm neither here nor there with the banner. Can it just be images of members bikes and change it out like every month or quarter?

Edit.2: I don't feel the need to participate as much since you and Steve have it mostly covered, and other members seem quite active, too.
I assume some of your comments were intended for me Chris - yes, I was invited to become a mod late last year and I was happy to accept, and thanks for the kind thought. I wouldn't say Steve and I have things covered... more like Steve has things covered along with the other great guys here like LDR, frogman and J-T, I contribute to those threads that I'm able to. It's an interesting suggestion for the banner images... but unfortunately, we can't make the changes ourselves and since the Admins have to do it, they'd be busy doing it on a regular basis and I think they manage far too many sites like ours to have the time to devote to it (though they could probably set up a folder full of pictures submitted or culled from the build threads, but seeing how things have gone so far that might turn out to be a disaster :p ). If you still have the time between life, work and family, it would be great if you'd still participate as you used to, it's always good to have another voice of experience and a different set of eyes and viewpoint

·
Registered
189 Posts
Instead of a static banner with a few chosen images, could it be setup as a carousel with pics being randomly fed from a gallery file that is populated by member uploads, but controlled by our administrators as to which pics from that file are worthy?
I've done this with my own website and it really increases visual interest. Every time a page is refreshed a new set of carousel pics is generated. You know how we love our pictures!

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed Paul, and it is an interesting idea... but again, maybe the Admins are too busy with the workload of other sites they manage to take the time set this up - and additionally, the effort to gather enough pictures to make it as interesting as it could be so it doesn't repeat the same small number of pics might be a factor too. Also, they seem very concerned about the legalities of ownership of each image, as if we'd be sued by someone for using a picture of theirs while not being authorized to do so

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a negative 3.
Visually confusing, hard to navigate, obviously set up for the cell phone generation.
I come here less every week, when I do I just look for Steve's posts. Haven't posted myself in quite some time, probably won't.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Definitely geared towards "mobile" users, no big deal.
I'd been off for a little while working on non-Honda bikes, so I returned straight to the face-lift. The free-flowing (less delineations) between categories is a little disorienting at first but I've gotten used to it.

The new format is very standard "updated internet forum" and will take time to adjust to for some. I don't use the site as much as I used to now that I know a thing or two.

It would be a shame to lose some of the older members due to a tech upgrade. The real value in this forum comes from members, not format.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts