Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That did it; I was trying to get the old slow jet out (1981 CB400T) to clean it up and somehow it has become very stuck in there. While trying to put pressure on and turning the screwdriver half the head of the jet popped off. I have since cleaned the jet in situ and made sure it is clean all the way through but eventually I'd like to get it out. My easy-outs will never fit in that little hole. Any ideas on how I could extract it without buggering up the carburetor? I can't believe it did that, it's been soaking in cleaner had wd-40 down there as well. Stupid thing ruined my morning too!
Thanks for any suggestions.
Geordie

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd find out the major diameter of the thread and see if there's a left hand drill available. Preferably a carbide spotting type drill. Failing that I'd grind and stone my own out of a suitable sized drill bit. Maybe choose a bit as big as the bore and reduce the cutting/turning part so it's piloted, but the jets hole should center it if it's broken off flat enough. I wouldn't hurry it, I'd give it low heating and penetrating fluid cycles for a week or so. Center it up in a drill press the best you can and peck at it checking that it's centered. You'll probably only get one shot at it if you want to save the threads. It's possible you could tap to a bigger thread and find a suitable jet but......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lefty, I have been looking for a left hand tap or die (so I could make muy own turn out bolt) but no luck so far. I hadn't thought of a left hand drill I'll go look.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I broke a flat head set screw that held a jet needle one time and did manage to start a center hole with a bigger bit and drill it out with a smaller regular bit one time and saved the threads. With care you'll get it I bet. Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Geordie, Did you get the jet out yet?
Two things... A pencil torch, well controlled will allow you to surgically put some heat just around the jet. Also, you may be able to source a left hand drill or ease out from a watchmakers supply, prob sizes for a large pocket watch. Been a couple months here, maybe you already got it sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts