Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1981 Honda CM400A from Craigslist a month (or two) ago for $500 as a way to get to my college without spending mucho $$$ and wear on my car. The guy told me the carbs were clean and needed "slight" work (don't ever believe these lies) so I figured no big deal right? I can handle this right?? I work on bicycles all the time right?? THIS WILL BE A PIECE OF CAKE!

It turned out to not be a piece of cake, and I did struggle a couple times but I've been riding it now for a couple weeks to and from college -> work -> home. I've already put 1,000 miles on it and this weekend will be a major build weekend for me.

I'm probably going to start a project log so you can see exactly what I was working with and what I'm doing this weekend once I get home and can take some more photos.

Stats:
I live in a suburb of Dallas Texas. I am of the female persuasion and I am in my late 20s! This is my first motorcycle and I've been a competitive triathlete for a couple years now, so I took to motorcycles like a fish in water. I already took my motorcycle safety course and I got my license!

So hi :) I know I already made a post about a master cylinder issue (which did get resolved, thank you all for your help regarding that).

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
First of all please post pictures..... yeah the bike too! :lol:
Safety course was the best thing you could do.

Followup with the progress. Take plenty of before and after pics. They are oh so helpful when you are not sure which way something fits when reassembling. Get the manuals if you have not already.

Good Luck. And search the site and post questions if you don't find the answer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first thing I got was a service manual (well maybe third. I got a jacket and a Snell Helmet first) to work on the bike and it has been invaluable.

I've been lucky that I have a lot of toys to play with while at work, like plasma torches and lots of steel so if I need a custom part made I can get it here. I had to do that with some muffler brackets actually.

I'll be taking lots of pictures this weekend since I'm going to be tearing apart my engine and carbs. My bike is running a little lean and I need to figure out why. It's also leaking oil, and I need to replace some gaskets.

WILL BE FUN TIMES, AMIRITE??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts