Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I got her going and rode around for about 50 miles. Then the right side started having problems again. (The carbs were cleaned and new diaphragm replaced) It seems that no fuel gets to the carb unless the pressure from having a full tank forces it down. I went to the gas station and watched the (new line and fuel filter) fill up with gas once I put new fuel in it.. The fuel was low but it had enough to still be on the "on position" normally which baffles me. Another thing... Once I knocked on the pet cock a little bit fuel immediately came down.. I have cleaned the pet cock twice very recently but it looks pretty rough. The tube with the screen on it is pretty banged up. O and it's a CB 350.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
It is normal to have air in the lines and filter. There should be liquid fuel where the line connects to the carbs.

Have you checked the filters on the petcock?

Some inline filters restrict flow too much to keep the carbs full. You might try running without your filter to see if that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea everything is sparkly clean and new! Except the petcock.. When I knocked on it the fuel came trickling down. So weird. I cleaned it too. Should I just buy a new one since they aren't too much? It's like it needed the weight of more fuel to push the fuel into the carb.. Almost like something was blocking it's way to the carb unless it had enough pressure to get through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o and when it does this it sounds as if you are sucking what's left out of a cup of soda with a straw. Like there is a whole in the straw.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Sounds like a "sticky" shut-off needle or incorrect float height setting to me.....

The "soda-straw" sound is because the jetting is not being kept below the fuel level surface within the bowl....
When it is exposed to air (instead of liquid fuel), it "slurps".... Liquid level is too low....(float setting is too high)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is really strange... When I first reassembled the carb after cleaning and new diaphragm the fuel in the tank was low. I had it on reserve so I couldn't figure out why it wasn't drawing fuel so I put my hand to the back of the carb and when the carb had vacuum against my hand it sucked the fuel right up and started working... I then drove it to the station put gas in it and drove 50+ miles... Now it's doing the same thing when the fuel gets low.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Okay so I got her going and rode around for about 50 miles. Then the right side started having problems again. (The carbs were cleaned and new diaphragm replaced) It seems that no fuel gets to the carb unless the pressure from having a full tank forces it down. I went to the gas station and watched the (new line and fuel filter) fill up with gas once I put new fuel in it.. The fuel was low but it had enough to still be on the "on position" normally which baffles me. Another thing... Once I knocked on the pet cock a little bit fuel immediately came down.. I have cleaned the pet cock twice very recently but it looks pretty rough. The tube with the screen on it is pretty banged up. O and it's a CB 350.
As a new member who has posted a problem, it can be confusing to know what to do to resolve your problem. You have been given two bits of knowledge from members who seriously know their stuff. Try these repairs first. If they do not fix the problem, report that back.

In the future, there will be times when you get several repair suggestions from different members and don't know which repair to try first...While you are new, you my find it useful to check the number of posts that a member has and start with the suggestion from the member with the highest number of posts. This is not always true but on this forum there is a correlation between the number of posts and knowledge and experience. Over time you will get a feel for which members are experts in which area/bike and that will help you know what to do too.

Good luck and with input from the forum members, I know you'll have your fuel problem fixed in short order.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Bikes run after sitting for a prolonged time also often have rust particles build up at the petcock juncture inside the tank....
they also accumulate inside the petcock at its screen in the bowl....
The petcock screen inside the tank is usually only involved when you are on reserve......
You would NOT be the first to confuse the "on" and "reserve" lever positions of the petcock.......;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, thanks for the advice I'll give the petcock a 3rd cleaning and see what happens and report back. :) :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just a thought... Could the fuel tank cap vent possibly be clogged making the tank vapor lock? I'd throw a new petcock valve at it regardless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts