Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone. I'm having an issue of my 1973 CB450 not idling unless throttle is applied. I can get the bike to start up just fine, but as soon as I let the throttle off it dies. The carbs were cleaned and rebuilt about a month ago. Any suggestions on some things to check out to remedy the situation? I do apologize as well in advance for my lack of experience/knowledge, but that's why I'm here to learn!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Start by checking the idle speed adjustment.

Do you have a factory service manual?

PM sent, just in case.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
First I'd try screwing the throttle screws in a bit then I'd get myself a factory service manual and give it a good read:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check that link out as what I have at the moment is the M333 Clymer Manual!

Thank you for the tips already! I will keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Lots of threads here about carbs that were "thoroughly cleaned" but turned out they were not. If it runs when idle screws are turned above 1200 or 1300 rpm, your idle circuit is still dirty and is being bypassed.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
^^^^+1^^^^^
Those idle jets are small and can EASILY get plugged. I did a good carb cleaning, flushed a rusted tank, new petcock, and added filters.. bike ran and idled great for a couple months,...,then the dreaded "won't stay running / idled" gremlin surfaced...
Timing checked.. mixture screwed "played with"... then I discoverd in my fuel lines at the "bottom loop"(past the filters) what appeared to be "sediment" or "trash" settleing.. I'm sure it was residual crap from the tank..
I pulled this carbs, cleaned again (mostly the idle circuit), flushed tank (again)... smooth idle..no issues..
Figured.. if those "particles" were small enough to get past the petcock AND secondary fuel filters..,they could have EASILY blocked the idle jets...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts