Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I got my basket case CB400TI started. However, it's only firing out of the right cylinder. I've cleaned the carbs twice, set the float levels, and swapped the plugs and wires around. I'm getting good spark on both plugs.

Compression test? Valve adjustment? Any help is extremely appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After idling a minute, is the left exhaust warm or cold?
Completely cold. And so is the air coming out of the pipe. The right side warms right up though.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Have you tried starter fluid in the non running side?

You sure your idle circuit in your carb is clear?

Is your valve clearance correct? Might as well check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take a can of carb and choke cleaner and spray around the carb on the side that's not firing and see if you get combustion. I had a similar problem and it turned out my dumb self didn't tighten the bolts on the carb boot. Ran fine after that. You could be sucking air in somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Brown/green: 94
Pink/green: 160
Blue/white: 82

Coil
Yellow/green: .6

Plug wires: 7.78

In your opinion, should I be looking a new stator? The coil and plugs are close to spec, but one of the stator readings was a little out.

These are the spec's you want. You can have a variance of @1 ohm from these.
Newest specs:
Pink to Green 129 Ohms Old was 135
Blue to White 84.2 Ohms Old was 85
Brown to Lt. Blue 203 Ohms Old was 207
New specs were obtained by testing 2 NOS stators, early version with the bullet connectors on the Blue & White connectors instead of the plastic plug in.
The old specs should be considered the maximum resistance readings and the new ones minimum resistance

Your coil is good. I would recheck the stator readings and if they don't match up to the numbers above then you need a stator

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent a little more time with the bike today. I was able to get the left cylibder to fire by using some starter fluid, but it would sputter out almost immediately after. Would this indicate that it's a carburetor issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See reply to carb section thread
What was the result of rechecking the stator?
Do you have any tips for finding a new stator? Or one that is used but tested? My preliminary internet searches don't look too promising.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Any stator from 1978 thru 86 for the CB400T, CM400, CB450T, CM450 and CB450SC fits and works. The only difference is the Blue/White connector. Early versions used bullet type connectors and later uses a plastic plug with spade connectors.
New: Those are pretty rare to find, DSS had 6 but those are sold out. 31100-413-015 or 025
Rebuilt: There are shops rewinding the stators but to my knowledge the only one repairing the pickup coils is Rex's Speed Shop in the UK. I'm not positive if they are doing both of them yet so an email is in order to ask. Rex's Speed Shop - Sales 01580 880768
Used: I would ask each seller for the VOM reading on the 3 circuits and compare to spec.
79 HONDA CM400 CM 400 T STATOR ALTERNATOR GENERATOR LIGHTING COILS | eBay
Alternator Stator 1981 Cm400 And Flywheel | eBay
Honda 1981 Honda CM400A CM 400 alternator/stator generator lighting coils | eBay
Honda CB450 CM450 Alternator Stator Coil & Ignition Pickups Pulsar 31100-MC0-671 | eBay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any stator from 1978 thru 86 for the CB400T, CM400, CB450T, CM450 and CB450SC fits and works. The only difference is the Blue/White connector. Early versions used bullet type connectors and later uses a plastic plug with spade connectors.
New: Those are pretty rare to find, DSS had 6 but those are sold out. 31100-413-015 or 025
Rebuilt: There are shops rewinding the stators but to my knowledge the only one repairing the pickup coils is Rex's Speed Shop in the UK. I'm not positive if they are doing both of them yet so an email is in order to ask. Rex's Speed Shop - Sales 01580 880768
Used: I would ask each seller for the VOM reading on the 3 circuits and compare to spec.
79 HONDA CM400 CM 400 T STATOR ALTERNATOR GENERATOR LIGHTING COILS | eBay
Alternator Stator 1981 Cm400 And Flywheel | eBay
Honda 1981 Honda CM400A CM 400 alternator/stator generator lighting coils | eBay
Honda CB450 CM450 Alternator Stator Coil & Ignition Pickups Pulsar 31100-MC0-671 | eBay
Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts