Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my top end rebuild, I took apart my CB360 pistons in preparation of installing a fresh set of rings (provided the machine shop says my cylinder bore is OK and no need for an oversize rebore). The top and second ring were pretty easily removed by popping one side of the ring out and “walking it” up the outer edge of the piston in a corkscrew fashion until it was free. The oil ring on the piston is a beefier one-piece design, which seemed to require a bit more effort, to the point where I was concerned that it would snap in half! However all of the piston rings made it off OK.

Now it is almost time to put them all together. I was fortunate enough to have packed away a set of NOS original piston rings in addition to a 0.25 set of oversize pistons and rings back in 2009. In all of these piston ring sets, all of the oil rings are of the “old” one piece design (as opposed to the 3 piece oil ring "kits" available now). I just wanted a sanity check here to prevent snapping them:

The oil ring is installed FIRST from the top of the piston. It is installed by placing it on the top surface of the piston, pressing down on one of the free ends of the ring, rotating the piston itself, and working the piston oil ring its way down to the bottom groove in a downward corkscrew fashion?

For reference, here is the typical kind of piston oil ring "kit" that is available now (Not what I have) which honestly seems a hell of a lot easier to install:

honda-standard-piston-rings.jpg

Here is the kind that I have (third from the left):

piston rings honda cb.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
314 Posts
BTW : I was told that the oil scraping capabilities of those old style rings leave a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BTW : I was told that the oil scraping capabilities of those old style rings leave a lot to be desired.
Yeah...I have heard that too...

I guess I can wait and see when the newer style rings come back in stock at CMC.

·
Registered
572 Posts
After snapping one of those rings using a spreader on my CB72, I wrapped a very thin strip of plastic from a notebook cover around the piston, slid the new oil ring over it using my fingers to spread it, then slid it down to its groove. It worked great, avoiding the upper grooves and damaging neither piston or ring. Of course, this was after waiting a week to get a new ring set from ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a neat trick!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts