Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -
I own a 70 SL350 and I've just got it started for the first time in 30 years. I'm a little new to all of this and I'm hoping for a little help. Here's the deal...

The bike will start up with full choke. I can then turn the choke off and the bike will idle. If I throttle it falls on it's face. If I throttle the left carb manually, the bike will rev up decently, but if I manually throttle the right hand carb it falls flat on it's face and sounds like it's sucking air. If I turn the choke on and manually throttle the right carb it seems to rev up better.

I've cleaned both carbs checked the jets o-rings diaphragms and all seem good. Ran bike with air boxes on But problem still seems to persist.

Any suggestions?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: One cylander will only rev with choke on...

During 1970, Two versions of the SL 350 were sold/available, the K0, and K1....
This question is difficult to venture a guess at until we know for sure which bike we are discussing.... Please add your name and bikes to your signature line to aid us.....

sounds like a blocked idle or mixture passage though....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

Easy check if it is fuel supply (blockage) in the right carb.... spray some ether (starting fluid) BEHIND, NOT directly into the right carb (no air cleaner on) as you manually open it up....If it sucks it in and fires/revs, you do have a blockage problem... If nothing changes, it's likely a ignition problem (points or coil or plug)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Great. I'll have a look and be back to post my results.

Thank you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

One question. If it is an ignition problem, why would the bike run smoother with choke on? Just curious? Thanks again.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

I believe it IS a carb/fuel supply problem.... The ignition part is just the logical progression of diagnosis

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts

Since the CV carbed SL-K0 version is essentially the same as the CB/CL versions, posting your results (of this quicky test) may help out some other members......I'm betting it fires/revs right up..... In which case, re-clean those carbs..... :D

·
Registered
104 Posts

This is a good test. I boiled mine in lemon juice for 10min and that did mor good for my carbs than any thing else that I have tried. So now soak in the carb was for 30min and then the boil. I have had good luck in doind so. I hope another cleaning takes care of your problem. Welcomre aboard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts